Fires Starting In The Garage - General DIY Discussions - Page 3 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree34Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 07:29 AM   #31
Member
 
DoomsDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 3,382
Default

Re: Fires starting in the garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYerUncleBob2 View Post
They should make a bigger deal out of it now. So many fires start that way.
When I worked for a house painting company as a summer job they'd do a demonstration on any newbies first day to show how easily it can happen. That can of rags was up in flames before I heard the whole "welcome aboard" spiel. It's kept me scared to even have any oily rags anywhere ever.
So maybe explain what happens?
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 722
Rewards Points: 1,347
Default

Re: Fires starting in the garage


Is it really as much of a problem nowadays with the phasing out of many oil-based coatings?
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #33
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Waseca, MN
Posts: 436
Rewards Points: 805
Default

Re: Fires starting in the garage


For rags soaked in solvents, this all depends on the solvent. If kerosene/mineral spirits, there are no ignitable fumes. These require direct contact of a flame or spark to ignite.
Dangerous (volatile) solvents that can ignite from fumes include: acetone, lacquer thinner, xylene, gasoline, and denatured alcohol.

In ether case, there needs to be an ignition source. There is no such thing as spontaneous combustion. (unless you keep white phosphorus or silane gas around that is)
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #34
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,065
Rewards Points: 14,018
Default

Re: Fires starting in the garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by chiraldude View Post
For rags soaked in solvents, this all depends on the solvent. If kerosene/mineral spirits, there are no ignitable fumes. These require direct contact of a flame or spark to ignite.
Dangerous (volatile) solvents that can ignite from fumes include: acetone, lacquer thinner, xylene, gasoline, and denatured alcohol.

In ether case, there needs to be an ignition source. There is no such thing as spontaneous combustion. (unless you keep white phosphorus or silane gas around that is)
https://www.consumerreports.org/wood...ously-combust/


DoomsDave likes this.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #35
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Waseca, MN
Posts: 436
Rewards Points: 805
Default

Re: Fires starting in the garage


That's a new one for me!
I looked this up and it turns out to be a specific issue with boiled linseed oil.
Technically, linseed oil is not a solvent but is instead a finish, more like polyurethane than anything else. The spontaneous ignition is not guaranteed. The amount on the rag has to be just right. Too much or too little and it won't get hot enough to ignite. Also, it is not a perpetual hazard. Boiled linseed oil begins reacting with oxygen in the air as soon as it comes out of the can. After a day or so, the reaction will be complete and the risk of spontaneous fire goes to zero.
I guess I never heard of this because I haven't used linseed oil for over 30 years. Not much use for it any more with urethane products being superior.
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #36
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 429
Rewards Points: 860
Default

Re: Fires starting in the garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDave View Post
So maybe explain what happens?
This was many, many years ago and I didn't get a chance to ask how much of what exactly was in the rags, but the boss starts with "Never leave rags lying around. Ever." and puts them wadded up in an empty coffee can. He then proceeds to do the whole spiel about ladder setup and safety, proper use of equipment, blah blah blah this goes on for a long time and then...poof! The can starts to smolder and smoke. "And that's why you don't leave any rags lying around." I never did after that demo.
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #37
Member
 
DoomsDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 3,382
Default

Re: Fires starting in the garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYerUncleBob2 View Post
This was many, many years ago and I didn't get a chance to ask how much of what exactly was in the rags, but the boss starts with "Never leave rags lying around. Ever." and puts them wadded up in an empty coffee can. He then proceeds to do the whole spiel about ladder setup and safety, proper use of equipment, blah blah blah this goes on for a long time and then...poof! The can starts to smolder and smoke. "And that's why you don't leave any rags lying around." I never did after that demo.
Yeah, I had the same spiel, and it didn't work!
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #38
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 429
Rewards Points: 860
Default

Re: Fires starting in the garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by chiraldude View Post
In ether case, there needs to be an ignition source. There is no such thing as spontaneous combustion.
The ignition source is the chemical reaction (to oxygen I believe) while curing that produces enough heat to ignite.
This happens a lot in renovation and construction work. Like, way too often. Like Notre Dame cathedral, and so many more less catastrophic instances that anyone doing any work with oil based finishes needs to know about this and take precautions.
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #39
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 429
Rewards Points: 860
Default

Re: Fires starting in the garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDave View Post
Yeah, I had the same spiel, and it didn't work!
So, what did you burn down?
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #40
Member
 
DoomsDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 1,796
Rewards Points: 3,382
Default

Re: Fires starting in the garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYerUncleBob2 View Post
So, what did you burn down?
Nothing burned, not even a little curl of smoke . . . .
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #41
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,851
Rewards Points: 6,622
Default

Re: Fires starting in the garage


...............
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:05 AM   #42
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 429
Rewards Points: 860
Default

Re: Fires starting in the garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
...............
Sorry, I don't speak Morse code.
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:17 AM   #43
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 23,065
Rewards Points: 14,018
Default

Re: Fires starting in the garage


He had a ..., -, ..-, -.., -.., ., .-.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.

Last edited by Nealtw; 06-12-2019 at 12:21 AM.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #44
Member
 
HenryMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Central Colorado
Posts: 767
Rewards Points: 786
Default

Re: Fires starting in the garage


Simply reading instructions will prevent 99% of the issues discussed in this thread.

As Forest Gump so eloquently stated "Stupid Is As Stupid Does".
HenryMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #45
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 43
Rewards Points: 86
Default

Re: Fires starting in the garage


Previous owner installed a battery powered smoke detector in the garage. I had several false alarms, triggered by either auto exhaust and/or wood being cut with a dull saw blade. So now it sits on the workbench with batteries removed. Never had a fire in the garage, or in the house, or even on the property. Only had a fire in a car once, while working on it, and inadvertently caused a ground out condition via the throttle cable which was soaked with gas/oil and turned red hot when it grounded via the metal cable. Good thing I had a fire extinguisher under the driver's seat. Now I keep fire extinguishers handy in all my vehicles, garage and kitchens.

Most fires are caused by carelessness.
Tom153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts