Fireplace Drafting Question - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 474

Fireplace drafting question

So the fireplace is on the left. The house is pretty well wrapped so if there is no window open the only place for air to come in is through the other flue right next to the fire burning flu which used to be connected downstairs (like then when we moved in). So when there is a fire upstairs the smoke comes back down the flu and it smells downstairs. It's not a huge issue assuming it's not hurting anything but to solve it and to help the fire get started I started opening a window. The question is what window should I open? I've been opening the window right next to the fireplace (bay window right in front) but there is a cold breeze which feels wrong when I'm trying to heat that room. Should I open one down the hall (to the right in the picture) or in the kitchen (direct right in the picture?) Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Fireplace drafting question-kkpxeq4xdn3t_ahhibfgtka7mh7eijdnbsyj7woa-r8.jpg  
RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 29,574

It doesn't really matter which window or door you open. Use which ever one does not give a problem draft.
Also if the other flue is not being used I would install sealed cap on it. You are losing a lot of heat out of it.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
Fixing a Fixer Upper!

Rewards Points: 54

Definitely seal up the flue!
MaryAguila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement