Fireplace Brick Replacement - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Question

Fireplace Brick Replacement

The firebrick (refractory brick) in my old fireplace was badly crumbling away so I decided to replace it. I bought a bunch of new refractory brick from a local mason and also some Heat Stop mortar I plan to use. After pulling down the old brick, I ran into an issue.

2 of the 3 walls (left side and back of fireplace) fit the new bricks in the standard, correct orientation with the short edge facing the fire. The right side is too narrow to fit the brick in this same orientation (see picture). Notice in the pictures that the brick on the right side does not lay flush to the vertical bricks of the fireplace. The left side looks nice and flush.

How should I manage this? Should I cut the brick to fit? I worry about the right side for the fireplace not being protected from the high heat of wood burning fires.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Fireplace Brick Replacement-fireplace1.jpg   Fireplace Brick Replacement-fireplace2.jpg  

Last edited by agregor; 10-02-2019 at 09:22 PM. Reason: added more detail.
agregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019, 10:10 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 464

Re: Fireplace Brick Replacement

I would cut the back off as necessary, leaving at least a 1/2" airspace between the new refractory brick and the old. Just make sure you have at least 2.25" depth remaining, more is better. The vast majority of wood burning FP's out there have the brick on edge, so it's not an issue.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019, 10:24 PM   #3

Thanks.
2.25" is all the clearance I have, in total (see image with a tape measure). Barely enough space for ONE brick on edge. Not enough for any airspace. Is this OK?
Attached Thumbnails
Fireplace Brick Replacement-fireplace3.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019, 10:26 PM   #4

The other 2 sides have plenty of space so they are not a concern.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:59 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 464

It's not the end of the world, I just prefer air space, especially on the back where the most heat tends to be targeted.

Could you change the sides slightly by keeping the front at the same spot and narrowing the firebox a little in back, giving you a little clearance on the tight side? Or does the damper not allow that?
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
brick , fire , fireplace , mason , mortar