Filling Space Under Toilet Flange, Wax Ring Recommendations - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Gregsoldtruck79
  • 2 Post By carpdad
  • 1 Post By Gregsoldtruck79
  • 2 Post By HikingTurtle

Old 09-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

Filling space under toilet flange, Wax Ring recommendations

Hi! I'm not a very experienced DIYer and I would like some feedback.
I'm replacing my old 1942 toilet. It's been a nightmare as there was a cockroaches nest under it. Thus shut-off sweat valve was leaking as well and I already replaced it.
I'm including some pics of the flange to show the gaps under it and the inside of the pipe. The top of the pipe is rough and there's an area that looks like the wax ring may go down there. The pic with news paper is the final cleaned (with wire brush, disinfecting wipes and alcohol) flange.
I'm wanting to fill the space around the cast iron pipe, under the flange to avoid any pests making that their home again, but I'm not sure which material to use to do that. I've been looking at an expanding foam (Loctite TITE Insulating Foam Sealant), or some type of concrete repair mix (Quikrete recommended Non-Shrink Precision Grout #1585) but I'm not convinced on that one. I have a mortar mix on hand but I don't think it will be a good option.
The gaps are of different sizes from about 1/4" to 3" or 4".
Also, would like to know what are your preferred sealing method for mounting a toilet with an uneven surface to place the wax ring. The new toilet came with a wax ring that looks very thin, it's 7/8" thick, I feel it's too thin, it will not sit on the flange but on top of the uneven pipe edge.
I've been looking at Danco Perfect Seal, which has a wax ring included. Any experience with those?
TIA!
Attached Thumbnails
Filling space under toilet flange, Wax Ring recommendations-img_9513.jpg   Filling space under toilet flange, Wax Ring recommendations-img_9501.jpg   Filling space under toilet flange, Wax Ring recommendations-img_9496.jpg  
HikingTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #2

Re: Filling space under toilet flange, Wax Ring recommendations

Correction: Toilet is from 1972.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2018, 07:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,732

What is below the toilet ? Basement ?
dd57chevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #4

No basement or floor. Concrete foundation.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:49 AM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,514

Just caulk around the toilet after it is installed.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:13 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,926

Nealtw and HikingTurtle like this.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 09-11-2018 at 04:42 AM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gregsoldtruck79 For This Useful Post:
HikingTurtle (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,630

Look under the toilet. There is about one inch of space. Your flange is already at least 1/4" thick, so 7/8 wax ring is fine. You don't want the ring to be much thicker since it will crush down and possibly become a blockage. Buy another wax ring or two (and a disposable latex glove) to use it like a putty as noted. Fill the gaps and leave a level layer about 1/8" thick over the flange. This layer is insurance adhesion between the wax ring and the flange metal.
I don't use synthetic rings often included. I don't think synthetic rings have the flexibility to fill all minute gaps/uneven surfaces. Once the toilet is set, use small tube caulk to seal around the toilet. If you're not good with caulking, use tape to make the bead look good. Practice somewhere else if needed. What's important is using enough caulk to press in and fill, and feathering the edge where the caulk meets the tape. Remove the tape immediately.

BTW, if the roaches are coming in from somewhere else, seal ALL plumbing gaps. Around the kitchen drain, etc. You can move the escuchon and fill with plumber putty or stainles steel wood, etc.
dd57chevy and HikingTurtle like this.

Last edited by carpdad; 09-09-2018 at 07:10 AM.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
HikingTurtle (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #8

Gregsoldtruck79 - I really like the wax idea for filling up all gaps, will need a lot of wax but should definitely help.

carpdad - The toilet seems to have about 5/8" of space, the part that goes in the pipe is just a little more, maybe an 1/8". The flange is about 3/8" thick but less on the inside, where the wax ring goes. Should I still fill it up with 1/8" of wax over the flange?

As for the caulking, I already caulked around the shut-off valve, I had to remove the escutcheon as it was placed over the baseboard tile, cut it in half, caulked the hole on the wall around the pipe, then around the escutcheon. Will go seal the other bathroom and kitchen. Thanks for the tip!

As for the toilet caulking, plans are to place some boric acid tables under it, in case the roaches gain access, and caulk but leave a small opening on the back to check for any future leaks. Do you always caulk all the way around? If so, how do you know of any leaks? I'm thinking changes on the caulking color?
Attached Thumbnails
Filling space under toilet flange, Wax Ring recommendations-img_9517.jpg   Filling space under toilet flange, Wax Ring recommendations-img_9526.jpg   Filling space under toilet flange, Wax Ring recommendations-img_9529.jpg  
Old 09-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,926

When caulking around toilet bases especially on wood floors, ALWAYS leave a gap break in the caulk bead of about a 1/2" wide on the back, facing the baseboard.

Because if the wax ring ever leaks and the toilet base is totally sealed, the wood under it will rot out un-knowingly. Then one day, a person sits down on the toilet hard, and they fall in the basement and the toilet lands on their head. Ruining their day, but giving some good topics of conversation at the next picnic they go to.
dd57chevy likes this.
Old 09-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #10

Gregsoldtruck79 - LOL! You made me cry laughing! Now I have this crazy image in my mind, much better than the roaches for sure. I'm so glad the toilet sits on a concrete foundation and tiles.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,732

Greg shared some wisdom there ! I wonder if it is from personal experience ?

Seriously , I believe setting a toilet properly is what you should focus on . My Dad (a union plumber) used to squish the entire wax ring with his fingers until it was about 3/8-1/2" thick & 1 1/2" tall . Then he would set it on the flange & use his thumb to concave the inner bottom of it toward the opening , tearing off any extra length .
He would then use the extra length to smear a coating over the whole flange & onto the floor surface. The theory being , any leak at the stool surface would immediately appear on the floor .

Eliminating roaches is a separate problem .
dd57chevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:40 PM   #12

dd57chevy - Sorry, I couldn't get your suggestions.

Anyway, the toilet is up and running, no leaks so far.
I had fun putting the wax into the gaps and flange hole, it was like frosting a cake, LOL! The wax was also helpful in keeping the screws straight for positioning the toilet.

Here are the pics:
1. the "frosted" flange ,
2. the old toilet,
3. the nightmare roaches nest after war,
4. and the new toilet installed.

Went from 3 or 5 gallons to 0.8 gallons fer flush, hope it works well.
Thank you so much for all your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Filling space under toilet flange, Wax Ring recommendations-img_9536.jpg   Filling space under toilet flange, Wax Ring recommendations-img_9465.jpg   Filling space under toilet flange, Wax Ring recommendations-img_9478.jpg   Filling space under toilet flange, Wax Ring recommendations-img_9548.jpg  
dd57chevy and Gregsoldtruck79 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fill gaps , flange , toilet , wax ring