Encapsulation Of Crawl Space - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Encapsulation of Crawl Space

I have a large crawl space. It is not necessarily a lot of square footage, but it is tall. Square footage is about 600-700, but its between 5 and 25 feet tall.

It is also totally exposed to the open air, so I believe makes the house very very cold.

The ground is gravel fill. The floor above is insulated with fiberglass insulation.

I was toying with the idea of sealing off the access, which is right now through two large, 6-7 foot tall arches.

The arches area covered with a lattice wood screen, which is itself attached to a frame that is screwed into the masonry/concrete.

I wanted to attached plexiglass to the wood frame (and to a small framed hinged lattice door) to keep the cold air out.

This will have the effect of entirely sealling off the crawlspace.

I will probably install a vapor barrier on the floor over the gravel to keep ground condensation down.

There are no vents that I can see, which from what I understand is a good thing.

In the crawlspace is machine for a heatpump system, and the duct work for returns/supply.

There's also various piping for drains and freon, and electrical. There is one electrical outlet in the whole area, and one socket for a bulb.

Even with the vapor barrier, I'm concerned about condensation and humidity, so, I've thought about putting in a dehumidifier that will drain out (through the plexiglass windows that I will build) any water collected.

Questions:
1. Is this a good idea?
2. Any issues/tips with working with plexiglass?
3. Double glazed or single glazed? (the double might be hard and require entirely new frames)
4. How thick do you recommend the plexiglass? More is better?
5. Should the drain of the dehumidifier go through the glass or not?
6. How much humidity should I expect and should I be worried about it if I have a vapor barrier?
7. I still should be worried about normal condensation forming over the vapor barrier?
stajuddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2018, 05:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 88

Re: Encapsulation of Crawl Space

Location ?? Pics of CS maybe ?
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,894

Re: Encapsulation of Crawl Space

Sounds like it is built on the side of a mountain. I'm not sure encapsulating is the best option, but I'll wait for the pictures.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
encapsulation crawlspace