EMF Barrier - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LawnGuyLandSparky

Old 05-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

EMF barrier

I need some kind of an electromagnetic field barrier for a bunch of computer equipment. Shielding each piece of equipment individually isn't an option, I need some kind of a barrier for the equipment as a whole.

The barrier could be a single plane set up on one side of the equipment, or multiple planes up to 5 like a box laying over the equipment. Ideally the barrier will allow heat to escape reasonably well if made up of 5 planes.

I'd like to buy something off the shelf or built to order but I'm guessing I'll need to DIY this. Any ideas?
diyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,788

Re: EMF barrier

The screen in a microwave door window is to small to let the waves thru. I would think a wooden framed box wrapped with a tiny metal screen might work and still allow air cooling??
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
retired framer

Perhaps you could build boxes out of window screen parts.
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2019, 11:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyrocks View Post
I need some kind of an electromagnetic field barrier for a bunch of computer equipment. Shielding each piece of equipment individually isn't an option, I need some kind of a barrier for the equipment as a whole.

The barrier could be a single plane set up on one side of the equipment, or multiple planes up to 5 like a box laying over the equipment. Ideally the barrier will allow heat to escape reasonably well if made up of 5 planes.

I'd like to buy something off the shelf or built to order but I'm guessing I'll need to DIY this. Any ideas?

Didn't you already sort this out before?
https://www.diychatroom.com/f13/buil...y-cage-203275/
Nealtw likes this.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #5

@LawnGuyLandSparky nice find. I had completely forgotten about that from 5 years back. That was a totally different application for my stereo but still very relevant.

@Nealtw I'm sold but I wonder how well it will work for frequencies outside of RF. Plenty of aluminum screen on Amazon. What would you use for the frame? It will be in my office so aesthetics are somewhat important.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
@LawnGuyLandSparky nice find. I had completely forgotten about that from 5 years back. That was a totally different application for my stereo but still very relevant.

@Nealtw I'm sold but I wonder how well it will work for frequencies outside of RF. Plenty of aluminum screen on Amazon. What would you use for the frame? It will be in my office so aesthetics are somewhat important.
Find a glass, window repair shop and have screens made and screw them together into a box. You can buy the material and do your own but most times it is cheaper just to have them made.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #7
retired framer

Old 05-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Find a glass, window repair shop and have screens made and screw them together into a box. You can buy the material and do your own but most times it is cheaper just to have them made.
How best to screw them together? I would think they're aluminum frames. You'd just screw one to the next with a drill?
Old 05-26-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
retired framer

Quote:
How best to screw them together? I would think they're aluminum frames. You'd just screw one to the next with a drill?
When you measure for them remember some would be bigger so you can screw them together. I would pre drill the first and use a sheet metal screw, you can get them that are sharpened on the end like a drill bit. and they make it pretty easy. Aluminum screening is a little harder to work with than nylon but you want the finest screen you can find.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:07 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,736

You can get build-a-screen kits at the home centers; it comes with four lengths of aluminum that you cut to length and four corner miter pieces. You also need the spline to hold in the aluminum screening and the spline may come with the kit. Aluminum screening also in rolls. Need tinsnips to cut and a spline rolling tool.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement