Downdraft Exhaust - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2016, 08:18 AM  

Rewards Points: 322

Downdraft exhaust

I hope that I have the correct forum, I did a search for my question with no luck.

We will be renovating our cottage kitchen soon and would like to move the stove to a soon to be half wall. Wife wants it there so no chance of moving to the back wall where it would make my life easy and much cheaper to vent. Wife, also, doesn't want a vent hood above range as it will hurt the view of opening up this wall.

So my question is does anyone know if we can install a downdraft vent behind a slide in range? Every downdraft I look at bumps out at bottom for mechanicals (assuming) and it looks like I won't be able to slide a slide in range in place. Does anyone have experience with this, is this the case?

thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2016, 10:14 AM  
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,360

Re: Downdraft exhaust

So there will be no backsplash behind the stove? How much cooking do you and your wife do? Unless there is something over top of the stove, you are not realistically going to catch steam/smoke. So the real question is, if you are splattering steam, sauce, oil, etc, all over and also just letting steam/smoke go into your room, is that less important than it looking good? There are probably code issues with this as well...
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2016, 06:28 PM  

Brett,

yes there will be either some form of backsplash or wall surface behind the stove

it is our summer cottage we will be cooking minimally to moderately with it

not sure I follow you on the next comment, is a downdraft the most efficient no but it will catch some of the smoke. You make it sound it will do nothing, if so, why are these sold? I am less concerned with catching all the smoke & steam but more concerned with the code and removing products of combustion related to the gas cooktop...reason for code.

so back to my question will one fit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2016, 07:07 PM  

Rewards Points: 708

The only time I have seen what you are asking about is a Jennaire style set up and they work just fine. Never used it. Just installed them.
I can see where they would not be the most effective for boiling water, though.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:56 PM  

Rewards Points: 6,084

I have a Jennaire with down draft vent. Works just fine. However, it is vented to the outside. Since you said a "soon to be half wall" I assume that it is an interior wall. That means you will have to vent through the floor. Otherwise it won't do much good to vent. Consider that when looking at stoves and venting options. If the half wall is not an interior wall you won't need to vent.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:01 PM  

Quote:
I assume that it is an interior wall. That means you will have to vent through the floor.
yes half wall is interior and venting will have to either go through floor across kitchen or in crawl space below kitchen. Kitchen is getting gutted not going to be easiest thing to do but making the wife happy is worth it.

thanks for responses
Old 10-19-2016, 12:54 PM  
Breakin' Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mske390 View Post
yes there will be either some form of backsplash or wall surface behind the stove
Ah, this is good. It sounded like you were going to have a wide open stove. Not ideal for ventilation, but sounds like what you are doing will be just fine. Didn't want to be a Debbie Downer, just trying to keep you out of a bad situation.

As far as dimensions, here is an example I found: Downdraft vent Should at least give you an idea.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:10 PM  

Bret out of curiousity why do you say this, what affect do you see a small portion of wall or back splash doing to increase ventilation of a pop up downdraft fan system?
Old 10-19-2016, 10:05 PM  
Breakin' Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mske390 View Post
Bret out of curiousity why do you say this, what affect do you see a small portion of wall or back splash doing to increase ventilation of a pop up downdraft fan system?
Not much actually if you use the pop-up style downdraft as that will be in front of the blacksplash. Sorry for the confusion. I was originally picturing vents at the back of the stove but flush with the top of the stove.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:59 AM  

Rewards Points: 8,438

I used to have a Jennaire on an island that was vented through the floor, to the outside.

Seemed to work as expected, but I didn't like the down-draft idea. Need lots of airflow to get the suction, so its pretty loud, and hot vapors want to rise, so you are fighting physics.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:38 AM  

Rewards Points: 18

In my kitchen i had something very similar to what you are asking, but i am nit sure it can be done with a slide in range. To explain, we had a half wall and had normal height floor cabinets on the kitchen side of that wall. We had a cooktop and Dacor downdraft unit installed at the rear of the cooktop. When cooking, you pushed a button and the downdraft unit came up about 6 or 8 inches. It sucked the steam and cooking odors thru a duct that went down thru the cabinet into my basement ceiling and then ducted to the outside.

The reason i am saying i dont think it will work with a slide in range is that the motor and ductwork took up a large amount of space in the cabinet below. There is no such space when using a range versus a cooktop. One other thing... My "high end" dacor downdraft unit lasted a couple of years and then would no longer go up and down. It was a happy day when we reconfigured our kitchen and got rid of that unit. Also, remember that using a cooktop will require you to use a wall oven somewhere else in the kitchen.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2016, 09:22 AM  

Jeff, yes you are correct in the scenario I am asking. I am 95% sure that the two will not fit as proposed so I am now considering mounting the pop on the side as I do not want to have the range stick out past cabinets.

As for the performance of this thing honestly I don't care the main purpose is to comply with code so I can get this signed off. We have central air in the house with a supply on one side then return on other side of range location so it's not like the smoke/smells will hang out there for long periods of time. We will not be using this range daily and right now the stove has no vent so anything is an improvement.

So my main motivation on this is; making it aesthetically appealing, second keep the wife's vision of the kitchen design happen then allow me to get this signed off by inspector.

I appreciate everyone's input & comments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement