Downdraft Duct Vent 101 - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2019, 11:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Cool

Downdraft Duct Vent 101

So, I bought a new downdraft since the last one was busted and noticed when I was taking out that the previous owner had crafted a "metal box" that allowed the air to be pushed into the box from the downdraft and then it redirected it into the pipe into the floor which goes under the kitchen island and outside the house. Does anyone have any experience with building these "boxes" if the piping is not even close to where the downdraft vent is?

It's also a big pain to go from a rectangle to a circle with not even 4" of clearance between the cabinet and the downdraft.

Any suggestions or life secrets are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Downdraft Duct Vent 101-0806192122.jpg   Downdraft Duct Vent 101-0806192129.jpg   Downdraft Duct Vent 101-0806192128a.jpg   Downdraft Duct Vent 101-0806192128.jpg   Downdraft Duct Vent 101-0806192134_hdr.jpg  

Downdraft Duct Vent 101-0806192127.jpg  
rukus55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 05:44 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,284

Re: Downdraft Duct Vent 101

I would cut more floor away and rework the pipe so it lined up better at a better height to fit a boot. That will give you better air flow too.

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Re: Downdraft Duct Vent 101

Thanks Nealtw! I was considering removing more of the bottom cabinet to get to the pipe and also cut the pipe down a bit. Since there's just not a lot of room, I'm thinking this is going to have to be done.

The problem I'm going to have is that it's off center and pushed to the back from where the downdraft is. I would love to use the piece that you posted, but it just won't work in my case as I have to figure out a custom way to get the pipe lined up with something like the piece you have pictured.

What are your thoughts on using simi-rigid aluminum to get from the pipe to that piece that you pictured that goes from circle to rectangle? I can't move the pipe as it's in concrete, so I'm not sure what you mean by rework. I know the air flow is not the best through these aluminum ducts, but the only alternative I can think of is to make something custom out of metal somehow, which may be more dangerous if I'm doing it =)

Thanks for your inputs!
Attached Thumbnails
Downdraft Duct Vent 101-rigid-aluminum.png  
rukus55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cooktop venting , downdraft , duct , vent