DIY Steel Deck Frame? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Nealtw

Old 06-18-2018, 11:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 43

DIY steel deck frame?

Is steel framing for a deck frame a reasonable DIY project for an experienced/avid home DIYer? If so, how would I go about doing the design and buying materials? It's not something Home Depot carries. ;-)

Reason: my house had a 40-year-old tiny deck (6' by 9') off the master bedroom to the back yard, about 2.5' above grade. It was rotted to pieces, I just tore it out last weekend.

I was going to rebuild it similarly, but a little larger (9' x 9'), but my wife and i discussed and we think we would enjoy a low deck, 6" above grade, better, with stairs down to it from the bedroom. But a wood framed deck only 6" high is going to rot fairly quickly, even in a dry environment (Los Angeles). Plus I really can't stand the smell of copper green -- I won't want to go in the backyard for six months if I have to CG treat cut PT lumber.

So I want to investigate the possibility of metal framing. But there isn't a lot of information on DIY construction of steel deck frames, so I don't know if it's something I can do myself.

(NOTE: we could just pour a patio but we'd really prefer the look of deck boards.)
IdahoEv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2018, 12:03 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 414

Re: DIY steel deck frame?

It will need similar build designs as a wood deck, posts, rim joists, floor joists, stair rails, etc.

Do you have any welding experience?

I would use 2 inch square tubing, and weld up a frame with posts, joists, then screw the decking down to the 2 inch square tube rim joists.

Many industrial complexes build steel walkways all the time.

Materials available at any steel supply yard.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2018, 12:19 AM   #3
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 880
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

If you plan on getting a permit for the new deck California will not recognize a non-engineered steel deck for that. A wood deck that is prescriptive designed (by code requirements) does not need engineering per se but still has to be designed per CRC deck code.

Andy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2018, 03:32 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,740

pour concrete.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement