Digging A Hole! - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By joed
  • 1 Post By daveb1
  • 1 Post By joed
  • 1 Post By Guap0_
  • 1 Post By Guap0_
  • 1 Post By LarryJ-nova

Old 06-14-2018, 01:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Digging a hole!

I need to drain and clean our pool and have done it a few times before without a problem - we live in central Florida, which has a high water table, but because we live on a slope we've always been told that our pool should be fine because any moisture below would percolate down to the level of the water at the bottom of the slope. Still, we had a very unusual April and early May, with a ton of rain, and I'm worried that the sandy soil below our pool might still be saturated. Easiest way to check would be to dig something like a post hole to the depth of the pool (6') and see if it fills up with any water. That on it's own would be hard as the furthest I could go with a normal post hole digger is around 4'. Then there's the problem of our pool deck, which is surrounded by a wall 2' high - I'd have to dig the hole from that level, which basically means I'd have to dig down to 8' to be at the same level as the bottom of the pool.

So, can anyone suggest some kind of method by which I could manually dig a cylindrical hole down to 8'? Is there some kind of extended post hole digger I could use? That or I could kill myself for a few hours in the Florida heat and dig a small trench 4' down with a shovel, then climb down into it and use the post hole digger for the remaining depth.
stephenbishop59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2018, 04:48 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 306

Re: Digging a hole!

use your regular manual posthole clamshell diggers, and dig a hole about 3 feet deep, then use an 8 foot long 4 inch pipe, in the hole, and tap it down another 3 feet, into the soil.

Then pull the pipe up and out of the hole, if the ground is wet, the plug will stick to the pipe and come out with it, as a core sample.

Then you can tie a soup can to a string, and drop it into the hole to test for water table.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2018, 05:23 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 822

Is it feasible to pipe the water further away from the pool?
I used to live in east orange county and I hit water with post hole diggers just putting in fence posts.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2018, 07:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 20

I'm not trying to pipe the water away. I'm just trying to see if there's any water trapped in the soil above the base of our pool that could cause it to pop if I empty it. A simple hole to a depth of 8' will tell me. I'm not expecting any, as we've never had issues before because of the slope we live on (the road that runs in front of our one acre property would probably be below the base of the pool) but better to be safe than have a 40,000 gallon capacity pool come roaring out of the ground because of all the rain we got in April and early May!

Also, the water table must be pretty high in Orange county. I've put up two fences recently on a couple of our rental properties and I didn't hit water with any of the post holes I put in. One is in Casselberry, the other in Deltona.

Last edited by stephenbishop59; 06-14-2018 at 07:28 AM.
stephenbishop59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 29,512

If you use a twist type post hole digger the ones I have seen can be extended with 3/4 pipe.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:30 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,550

Adapt tubing or pipe to a garden hose and push the pipe in while the water flow washes the residue up.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
If you use a twist type post hole digger the ones I have seen can be extended with 3/4 pipe.
I used a post hole auger and pipe to drill down 12' to reach water bearing sand for my sandpoint. Make sure the factory pipe isn't tack welded to the auger head. You also need two pipe wrenches.
Attached Thumbnails
Digging a hole!-15289984705531280491810.jpg  
Msradell likes this.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 29,512

The good thing is the digging action is tightening the pipe.
de-nagorg likes this.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
I used a post hole auger and pipe to drill down 12' to reach water bearing sand for my sandpoint. Make sure the factory pipe isn't tack welded to the auger head. You also need two pipe wrenches.
I have a 3 or 4 incher in the barn somewhere. If you can find it you can have it. If I have to find it, well, that'll cost a little more.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #10
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

I've used a twist type post hole digger that Joe described in post #5 after I went as far as I could with a conventional PhD. People didn't believe me when I told them that I had a PhD. I rented the twist type for $10 & dug 10' in a 3 hrs.
de-nagorg likes this.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:53 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 636

First, you find a wiry teenager who will work cheap. Then you dig a hole with a shovel a couple inches wider than the kid's shoulders, you can get down to about 3 feet that way. Then you rig a davit over the hole, tie a bowline-on-a-bight around his ankles, and lower him headfirst into the hole with a small bucket (on a rope) and a garden trowel. He can fill the bucket with sand, you haul it up and dump it, and pass it back down to him. Working together, you can likely get that hole 8 feet deep in about 6 hours...if the hole doesn't collapse on him. If it does, you better have good stout rope on that davit to haul him up...and of course that will add to the time required.

...And I sure do hope all you folks realize that this is an attempt at humor.
jimfarwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #12
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Quote:
And I sure do hope all you folks realize that this is an attempt at humor
Ed Sullivan is looking for comedians on his really big shoe.
de-nagorg likes this.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:16 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 507

Daveb1 has the right idea. Use a hand auger. Arts manufacturing makes the best. not sure you can rent one anywhere. Maybe borrow one from your local soil scientist. I borrowed one from work and now have a 3.5" dia. hole 9' deep in my yard. hoping to go deeper tomorrow.
de-nagorg likes this.
LarryJ-nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,522

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbishop59 View Post
because we live on a slope we've always been told that our pool should be fine because any moisture below would percolate down to the level of the water at the bottom of the slope.
How much of a slope is it? And how much of the slope is your property. Is the bottom of the slope below the bottom of your pool?

Instead of digging an 8 foot hole right by the pool, depending on the slope, could you just dig a shallower hole lower down the sloop? Those that told you about the percolation in sandy soil are right. So the water level at the bottom of the sloop will be indicative of the water level under your pool.
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement