Delivery To A Commercial Loading Dock. - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:27 AM  

Rewards Points: 121

Delivery to a commercial loading dock.

I am not familiar with this process. I can have a large heavy item shipped for a greatly reduced rate if I have it shipped to a commercial loading dock. Can someone please explain this process. Thanks, Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 AM  
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,102

Say you order a furnace, roughly 250#, the manufacturer shipping options, drop shipped to loading dock, tailgate load for residential delivery,

Option 1 - drop shipped - you have to go pickup your delivery at the nearest truck depot.

Option 2 - Tailgate - they deliver to your home (usually a more expensive option) and sometimes the driver will help you unload from the truck, on the few occasions, a couple of bucks in the drivers pocket usually helps him make the decision to help you.

Last edited by Jackofall1; 01-24-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 11:44 AM  

Rewards Points: 1,000

normally you are responsible for item once it hits tailgate on site delivery
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 11:54 AM  
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 190

Quote:
and sometimes you will have to help the driver unload.
Ayuh,... Actually the driver moves it only to the back of the trailer, 'n it's Your's from there on out, 'n to the ground...
Old 01-24-2011, 12:11 PM  
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

so, you will have to arrange with the truck terminal to pick-up the freight. If it isn't something you can manhandle onto your vehicle, you will likely need the assistance of the forklift driver at the terminal. They may have a charge for that. Call ahead to be prepared.

and absolutely agree with Bondo; a truck driver is only required to get the freight to the back of his trailer. How you get it off is your problem. Now, that isn't to say there aren't some drivers out there that would help you but don't count on it. It isn't their job and a lot of them stick to their guns on it (as is their right)

not having any equipment to get the freight off the back of the trailer often leads to a literal showing of the term "drop shipped"

Last edited by nap; 01-24-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:44 PM  
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrepp44 View Post
I am not familiar with this process. I can have a large heavy item shipped for a greatly reduced rate if I have it shipped to a commercial loading dock. Can someone please explain this process. Thanks, Jim
It costs the trucking company less money to pull up to the dock and wheel it off than it would cost to make arrangements to unload it at your house where the truck floor is 5' off the ground.

Do you have one where you work? The mail guys here find it hillarious when I have pallets delivered here - and I work for an insurance company
Old 01-24-2011, 02:50 PM  

Rewards Points: 506

best to look up a small independent expedited freight company, but don't expect them to do it for free.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:50 PM  

Rewards Points: 5,348

I've had various woodworking equipment delivered to freight depots for the same reason as the poster. The guys just lifted the pallet with a fork lift and put it into the cargo van. Only cost was the tip.
Last time was about 8 years ago on Long Island.
Ron
Old 01-24-2011, 06:46 PM  
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 506

Even if it's just 80lb's and you don't NEED a dock, it usually cost the shipper a less to ship to a commercial address.

If you go to ups.com and get a price to quote to ship a 10lb box, it will usually be cheaper to send to a commercial address over a residential address
Old 01-25-2011, 08:04 AM  

Rewards Points: 320

UPS charges ~2.50 more and all LTL carriers we ship with range between 40.00-85.00 more for residential.

A few reasons. A commercial address is open during business hours, usually for residential delivery an appointment is set. Residential streets do not have the same height requirements and narrower than truck routes, so a smaller truck (liftgate) is usually used. Wait to unload time is usually less at a commercial location.

As stated before, hold at dock and pick-up or ship to a commercial address.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement