Deadbolt Lock Adjustment? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 756

Deadbolt Lock Adjustment?

I have a door deadbolt lock in which when turning the deadbolt latch, the bolt won't extend all the way out because the hole in the door frame is not deep enough to allow it. How do I fix the opening to allow the deadbolt to fully extend? What tools do i need to fix this?
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

Hammer and chisel.Chisel the hole deeper or take the strike plate off and drill it out with a 1" bit and replace the plate.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #3

When you say drill out with a bit. How do you do that? What type of bit are you referring to? A spade bit? How does that work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 144

Remove the strike plate and drill the jamb out deeper with a 1" bit.Spade bit will work.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #5

Is there anyway that the strikeplate won't come off? Is it sometimes behind the door trim that doesn't allow it to come off? Without the strike plate on, I can't get a spadebit into the hole to make it deeper.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #6

Here is a picture of my strike plate. How do I get it to come off? As you can see the hole is not very deep. Thanks for the assistance.
Attached Thumbnails
Deadbolt Lock Adjustment?-lock.jpg  
Old 09-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 976

By looking at your picture it looks like some wood in that frame was replaced including the fascia piece. Remove the screws and you may be able to get the strike plate to slide out from behind the other piece. You can't do that and just take a small drill bit, 1/4" or so and drill a bunch of holes and then use a hammer and chisel to clean it out. It's slower but would certainly work. You probably need to go about 1" deep are so. You can extend the deadbolt with the door open to measure the required depth exactly.
Advertisement