Craigslist Scam - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree22Likes
  • 10 Post By rjniles
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 4 Post By lenaitch
  • 1 Post By Drachenfire
  • 1 Post By Gymschu
  • 3 Post By joecaption
  • 2 Post By joecaption

Old 07-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 96

Craigslist Scam

Yesterday about 8AM I listed my ARE fiberglass truck cap on Craigslist for $300. By Noon I had received 3 texts with an offer to buy sight unseen for the full amount. They wanted to send me a cashiers check and after it cleared and I had the money, they would arrange to pick it up (1 guy was in Wisconsin and I am is SC). I send them a return test saying bring the cash when they are ready to pick it up. I would meet them in the police department parking lot and that I get off duty at 4PM. Never heard another word.
BigJim, SPS-1, gma2rjc and 7 others like this.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,544

Re: Craigslist Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Yesterday about 8AM I listed my ARE fiberglass truck cap on Craigslist for $300. By Noon I had received 3 texts with an offer to buy sight unseen for the full amount. They wanted to send me a cashiers check and after it cleared and I had the money, they would arrange to pick it up (1 guy was in Wisconsin and I am is SC). I send them a return test saying bring the cash when they are ready to pick it up. I would meet them in the police department parking lot and that I get off duty at 4PM. Never heard another word.
Maybe it was just the meeting place that turned them off. But that is an excellent meeting place for people.
dd57chevy likes this.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2018, 07:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,118

My only hobby is going down Craigslist list ads under just the Heavy Equipment heading and looking for scams and items posted under the wrong heading and flagging them.
I've flagged thousands of them.
2017 Bobcat skid loader being sold for $9,000, way out of state phone number or far more often no phone #.
Only wants to to text.
Post an email address across the picture so they can get you to email them without using the safer Craigslist address.
I had the same deal when selling a 1967 37' wooden boat from someone in Africa.
People still fall for this crap everyday and loose a ton of money.
I've tried contacting many people about the scams, Craigslist, local police, even the FBI. No ones interested unless you have already lost the money!
Good free entertanment, go on Youtube and type in Craigslist scams.
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2018, 07:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 7,078

That is great, I love it. Plus my police station is less than a mile away and I know most of them. I will share that one with the chief.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 246

My wife has put a number of musical instruments on Kijiji (like Craigslist - don't know if it is in the US) and she often receives replies as described in the OP. Some are better than others and she goes along with them for a while before they inevitably fall apart. She never deals in anything other than cash.

Police stations have become a very common place for this type of exchange up here. Some are even signed. It started out a a court-mandated site for separated parents to exchange kids during custody disputes and seemed to have organically grown from that.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:53 PM   #6
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

That's not a new scam. Cashier checks can be stopped. People don't realize that.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,598

If I were accepting cash as payment I would inform the purchaser the bills would be examined for counterfeits.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #8
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 4,170

Anything I sell on CL is in person, in a public place, with cash only and I am armed.
Dave Sal likes this.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:24 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 142

Don't know if you all remember the Craigslist murders here in Ohio. Ad would promise a good-paying job as a caretaker of a large farm. Responder would meet the man and his associate out in the middle of nowhere where he would be robbed (I'm sure a job seeker carries a lot of cash) and then shot. Three men were murdered. The 4th was shot but he escaped to share the story and the two men were caught and are now in prison.
Dave Sal likes this.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #10

I've sold bought and sold many things on Craigslist.
One of the classic ones I was I was selling an enclosed 7 X 10 trailer that looked brand new and still had the nubs on the tires.
I had bought it to store stuff in on jobsites, it had been driven from the dealer right to one job site.
Guy shows up driving a brand new Toyota Tundra.
Takes one look at it and says it's bigger than I thought it was, I'm not sure my truck can haul, WTH.
I ask him what he plans on doing with it, he was planing on moving all his belongs to CA.
OK so if you buy to a smaller trailer, what do you plan on doing with the stuff that will not fit?
Then he asked if the lights work, I back my truck up, plug the lights in and they all work fine.
Now he wants me to hook the hitch up and drive down the road to see how it pulled with me driving the truck, that made 0 since to me, how would he know how it handled with me driving so I passed on that idea.
Next he wanted me to hook it up to his truck to see if the lights worked again. I told him I belive a Toyota will need an adaptor to make them work, but he wants to do it anyway.
I pull my truck up and block the whole driveway so he's not leaving without paying first.
I go in the house and get my pistol and called my big ass neighbour to come over incase the poop hit the fan.
Sure enough when I come back the lights did not work and he's inside the trailer trying to pull apart the lights to see if a bulbs burned out, THERE LED LIGHTS.
That was enough for me, I gave him 30 sec. to pay me or get out of my yard.
He reaches in his pocket and hands me the full amount in cash.
I hand him the signed title.
Then for some strange reason he asked me not to send in the change of ownership paper to the DMV for 30 days, sure no problem.
As he's leaving he drives down in the ditch, knocks down my mailbox and keeps on going.
Keep in mind I have backed in an 18' and even a 30' trailer in this yard before with no issue.
Once he left I went right to the PO and mailed in the change of ownership papers
Gymschu, Dave Sal and Guap0_ like this.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #11

I saw that story on the ID channel.
That was one sick guy.
And all these poor people wanted was a job and make an honest living.
Gymschu and Dave Sal like this.
Advertisement