Contractors... Ugh Sometimes (rant) - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By oh'mike

Old 09-12-2016, 03:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 716

contractors... ugh sometimes (rant)

So I got my local trusted HVAC guys in to run a new vent line for a brand new bathroom vent and do plumbing also... they've always did a good job... did a good job on the plumbing... but the vent...

I only asked them to do it because I didn't want to go on the roof myself, I hate roofs... when the house was built the builder ran all the vents into the attic space... stupid...

I have slowly been moving 5 bathroom's vents all to outside vents one by one... well until this time.. told them I wanted it ran outside through the roof with a standard roof jack for a vent... insulated pipe... you know the current building idea for a bathroom vent....

they didn't want to do this because "venting outside allows water penetration points especially on the roof"... well no duh you have to cut a hole..... but if sealed right and done right it's not an issue... after a while of fighting over the subject.... their solution was to vent it into the attic roof vent at the peak and stop the pipe right under the ridge vent not going outside but right at it......

at this point I was just thinking you know what I'll just run the lines out the side of the house myself (be it this is a 2nd story and the vent would be 25 ft off the ground and I already hate heights on ladders)... so I just say give me the duct run and I'll finish it myself later....

come back when it's all done they ran vinyl 4" duct not insulated and screwed it under the ridge vent *ugh*

why is it so hard to get people to do what you ask anymore?

sorry just had to rant... so now my weekend project is drilling a 4" hole out the side of the house, trimming the vinyl siding for a J channel louvered exhaust vent box (the siding flush mount type) and switching the duct to be insulated.....

please tell me I'm doing this right and the contractor is wrong? I've already vented 3 bathrooms this way
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 03:20 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Re: contractors... ugh sometimes (rant)

It's to late now--but your warning bells should have gone off when they did not want to touch the roof---

Most plumbers and I'm guessing, HVAC people do not touch shingle roofs---the ones I have dealt with want the roof cap installed by a roofer--then they hook to that.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 716

Re: contractors... ugh sometimes (rant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
It's to late now--but your warning bells should have gone off when they did not want to touch the roof---

Most plumbers and I'm guessing, HVAC people do not touch shingle roofs---the ones I have dealt with want the roof cap installed by a roofer--then they hook to that.
well this was the first time I have ever had an issue with them and a roof penetration, I've had them redo roof jacks before for plumbing vents that leaked never an issue... no idea why suddenly they don't want to do a vent... ironically they did roof work to replace a 4" vent line roof jack that was worn out the same day..... so it's not like they didn't want to go on the roof *scratches head* I'm just very confused by this time...
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueBSH For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-16-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement