Condensation And Mildew - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

condensation and mildew

I am needing advice on condensation and mildew issue I am having. New windows were fitted in April this year and the level of condensation I am experiencing is extreme but NOT in the living room where my kitchen is situated at the back of the living room, the bedrooms and bathrooms are where I am having the most problems. I have original wooden shutters at the windows which are always closed now I have double glazing, I opened them up for the first time last week to find they were competely covered in mildew or mould spots I am not sure of the difference. The wall in which the shutters have contact with when closed is the inside/outside wall and is soaked and running with water.
can anyone advise me on this, is there something i am doing that could be causing these problems? I just dont understand why the window in the livingroom isnt affected by extreme condensation when thats where they small kitchen is?
twink36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,178

Shutters are on the inside? If so, that is likely your problem; no air is getting to the windows to transport away any moisture and to bring warmer air to warm them. Mold, obviously, means water, and likely vapor from inside. You have to keep the windows warmer and/or reduce the indoor relative humidity to about 40%.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

condensation

agreed on the above points...lose the shutters and add a dehumidifier.
if you are in the north, chances are no matter what you do to try and eliminate the condensation , you will be wiping the windows each morning.

depending on the sq. footage, number of people and pets in your home, merely breathing dumps tons of moisture in your home each day.
peedenmark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,178

FWIW, I never have to wipe my windows. Old double-pane, nothing special. Fairbanks. I do recall, however, that when 6 people were living here we did get some icing. I think that was resolved by removing all of the chit that collected (flowers, books, knick-knacks) on the deep window sills (13" walls) so air could get to the windows. Pulling a solid blind down all day in the dead of winter is a no-go.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement