Composting Toilet... Anyone? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Composting Toilet... Anyone?

Does anyone know anything about composting toilets like Biolet?

I have been considering installing one in my camp/secondary home in the country which at this point does not have any plumbing.
It's an empty canvas.

I would install it instead of getting a septic system

I have done my own research already but it would be very helpful to talk to someone that actually owns one.

Tx
DCU222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bio active toilets are worth looking at but you never want to add human or animal wastes, composted or not, in anything having to do with growing food. Have you looked at the incinerator toilets?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

hey-thanks...
no I have not done very much research on incinerator toilets yet. I looked a little bit-but have enjoyed the idea of the Biolet much more for some reason.

My indecisiveness lies in whether to purchase a composting toilet or to have a main tank for septic installed. They cost around the same.

I realize, as far as reselling my camp in the future-a septic system would be a much wiser choice but at the same time...although I have money enough for the main tank, I do not have enough for the sand mound which will be required.

There's always something! What makes me so angry is that my camp has had an outhouse on it for the last 100 years and the town has no problem with that. But when it comes to gray water, all hands are raised.
Please excuse my frustration...

Just wondering the eficiency of the Biolet in particular...is it more trouble than "conveniently green"?!

Thanks again for your post.
DCU222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
you never want to add human or animal wastes, composted or not, in anything having to do with growing food.
I think you need to elaborate on this. 100,000,000,000,000 farmers have put poop on their food growing fields for centuries upon centuries!!! At least it SMELLS like manure!!!!

DM
Old 10-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

True enough and I should not have generalized. Herbivore waste from cows, pet rabbits and rodents etc. can usually be introduced in a balanced manner back into food growing environments. Manure is an excellent example. However, the increasing use of massive amounts antibiotics in raising cattle and other livestock so they can tolerate corn feed (they are not built to digest it) concerns some.

http://www.compostguy.com/composting...te-composting/

Composting omnivore and carnivore microbial wastes from pets---like dogs and cats--- and introducing it to food crops can be dangerous or even deadly. Same with human wastes and with us add in all the meds we take along with our purposeful or food sourced antibiotics. Not stuff you want in your garden if you can help it?

Nothing wrong with composting human and pet wastes I guess if allowed where you live. Iffy adding them to the compost system for the garden.

Last edited by user1007; 10-25-2011 at 11:08 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
all the meds we take along with our purposeful or food sourced antibiotics. Not stuff you want in your garden if you can help it?
Now THAT makes sense.

DM
gregzoll (10-25-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement