Ceiling Fan Light - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2017, 07:14 AM   #1

ceiling fan light

Bought new ceiling fan with a light just woundering do i have to run a separate wire to the wall switch to turn light on and of seperatly to the fan as there is no blue wire in the roof for the fan light
danielparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 29,560

Re: ceiling fan light

maybe. If you want two switches then you need two hots and neutral. If power comes into the fan and you use the chains for the fan then you only need one hot for the light switch.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
maybe. If you want two switches then you need two hots and neutral. If power comes into the fan and you use the chains for the fan then you only need one hot for the light switch.
Ok so can i just run a new wire directly from the fans light wire straight to the wall switch? As there is a hot there,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielparry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Ok so can i just run a new wire directly from the fans light wire straight to the wall switch? As there is a hot there,
the wall controller i have has the light switch and then the fan speed controller on the same switch
Old 09-28-2017, 03:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,330

Quote:
there is no blue wire in the roof for the fan light
Blue is not a common color for house wiring, are you saying you have no house blue? Typically, the house wiring for separate switches for the fan and light will be a black, white and red in the ceiling box. Are you saying you have that or just black and white (I am ignoring any bare copper or green ground wire in this conversation)?
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:17 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 29,560

Blue is a very common colour on fans. It is the hot wire for the light.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,330

Right - common color on the fan, not the house wiring. Sorry if I was not clear in what I meant originally.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:25 PM   #8
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 266

Quote:
the wall controller i have has the light switch and then the fan speed controller on the same switch
Is this a wall controller currently installed in the wall or one you have in your hand that you want to use? As Stick/Shift says, separate wall controllers use a 3-wire cable: black, white and red. If you new fan/light has a remote that controls both the light and fan then you just need a standard on-off wall switch with 2-wire (black and white) cable.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
Quote:
Is this a wall controller currently installed in the wall or one you have in your hand that you want to use? As Stick/Shift says, separate wall controllers use a 3-wire cable: black, white and red. If you new fan/light has a remote that controls both the light and fan then you just need a standard on-off wall switch with 2-wire (black and white) cable.
the wall controller i have is a 3 wire cable, the standard ground wire, live wire and neutral wire i no how to wire the fan up just to those 3 wire, what im trying to get at is the fan has a light wire and my ceiling wires dont have a light wire which i no they dont usually, so without a remote, or a pull chain for the light can i just run a seperate wire connected to the fan wire then to the 3 wire wall controller, as i want to be able to turn the light on and off seperatly,and the fan on seperatly, just trying to figure out how to do that, because if i wire the light wire with the fan wire they will come on together which i dont want to happen, i want to be able to turn them on and off seperatly
Old 09-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #10
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 266

Quote:
the wall controller i have is a 3 wire cable, the standard ground wire, live wire and neutral wire i no how to wire the fan up just to those 3 wire, what im trying to get at is the fan has a light wire and my ceiling wires dont have a light wire which i no they dont usually, so without a remote, or a pull chain for the light can i just run a seperate wire connected to the fan wire then to the 3 wire wall controller, as i want to be able to turn the light on and off seperatly,and the fan on seperatly, just trying to figure out how to do that, because if i wire the light wire with the fan wire they will come on together which i dont want to happen, i want to be able to turn them on and off seperatly
If I understand your string of letters correctly, the cable running from the switch to the fan/light has 2 conductors, black and white (ignore the ground for this discussion), which provides one switched circuit. You cannot separately control two things (fan and light) with a single switched circuit. You can connect the fan (black?) and light (blue?) to the hot (black) cable conductor but you would have to individually control the fan and light via pull chains, remote or whatever.

Unless I'm missing something, a "controller" using a hot, neutral and ground conductors is a standard switch.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement