Buying A Toilet - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes

Old 03-19-2020, 05:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 166

Buying a toilet

It’s more exhausting than I thought. I’ve narrowed it down to with American standard champion 4 due to the great flush or the Koehler cinnamon. I’ve heard am std has more available parts and a bit cheaper. Any advice on 1piece or 2piece? And standard height vs higher height?
Th
hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,104

Re: Buying a toilet

I have a similar question and may I coat tail you.

One, I think you'll probably want the ADA height....but I guess it is a matter of taste (strike that...I meant preference)

Again, I like the looks of one piece verse 2. One piece is heavier and depending on how you like to install a toilet, can be heavier to install. Of, course, you have slightly less parts to assemble with a one piece. Again a matter of preference.

My preference is to have standard parts....toilets wear out their flushing and filling parts pretty often. It is nice to easily and cheaply have standard parts available.

But, I wanted to ask others their experience of these toilets that have the water saver two flush choices on a button on the lid....many sold by Costco/other places 1) Are they any less maintence requirements rather than standard....and 2)How expensive and a PIA if that flushing assembly needs replacement...both expense and availability.
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,536

I put a Champion IV in this house when I bought it a few years ago and would do it again. As to height, I don't really care but I think the higher height is a good thing when my 84 year old father is over to visit.

Personally, I would only buy a two piece just because a one piece kinda takes two people to install.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2020, 07:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
I put a Champion IV in this house when I bought it a few years ago and would do it again. As to height, I don't really care but I think the higher height is a good thing when my 84 year old father is over to visit.

Personally, I would only buy a two piece just because a one piece kinda takes two people to install.
Only online problem I heard with the champion 4 is you have to hold it down longer to flush. Any such
Old 03-19-2020, 07:23 PM   #5

I think it’s a 2 piece then. Higher height. Champion 4. This is much better than googling
MTN REMODEL LLC and jacinda like this.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere123 View Post
I think itís a 2 piece then. Higher height. Champion 4. This is much better than googling
I instal AS Cadet Pros all the time. In fact, I mostly install AS everything now days.....

I did 2 of those Champ 4's yesterday (owner supplied) Not again. About got a hernia moving the one piece around.

Whatever you do, I recommend the elongated bowl and comfort height (ADA)
And get a soft closing wood seat.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6

I have an AS Cadet high height, elongated bowl and soft closing seat. Best toilet Iíve had yet. Whatever you get, make sure water sits more at the back vs front. Some things just donít slide easy on a dry bowl lol.

Retired guy from Southern Manitoba, Canada.
660catman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,718

I recently installed a Kohler 2 piece. My wife wanted the design that didn't show the trap. I am sure there is a name for that style. It came with a soft close seat. The installation was a bit different. Instead of bolting the stool to the drain, it comes with a plastic adapter that you bolt down. It has a rubber gasket that you fit the stool over. I actually found it easier since you can be assured of a better seal with this setup. I believe it was around $250 at Lowes. It also was the chair height model. I would buy one again.
The only issue I had was the placement of the supply line. It has to be outside the footprint of the toilet since the base is so wide. In the floor, under the tank won't work.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:26 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,718

I recently installed a Kohler 2 piece. My wife wanted the design that didn't show the trap. I am sure there is a name for that style. It came with a soft close seat. The installation was a bit different. Instead of bolting the stool to the drain, it comes with a plastic adapter that you bolt down. It has a rubber gasket that you fit the stool over. I actually found it easier since you can be assured of a better seal with this setup. I believe it was around $250 at Lowes. It also was the chair height model. I would buy one again.
The only issue I had was the placement of the supply line. It has to be outside the footprint of the toilet since the base is so wide. In the floor, under the tank won't work.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:47 PM   #10
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,104

I did install an amercan standard that does not show the trap in our personal home main floor powder room.

It is a two piece, but almost appears single piece.

From it's orientation in the powder room, I actually have had several guests say they really like it and where'd I get it.

It ha clean lines.

But it is pricier and a more difficult install....and I would not bother with it for other baths.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:08 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 686

AS cadet 3, 3" flapper. Flush valve is standard design and flapper is also traditional. I also have champion but the flapper and the valve design is little more involved. For champion, I'd download or save the flapper seal replacement instruction,although probably will be in youtube forever. Fill valve for both is standard.
I worked on very few one piece toilets, not a plumber, and I think it's not worth the maintenance difficulties later. Older kohler, but the tank insides had caves and pools. Where brush can't reach if wanting to clean. All the valves were harder to get to.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:16 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,666

I have American Standard handicap height elongated bowl. Best toilet, comfortable and it flushes anything I have to give. It has a good water surface area so it doesn’t stink.
Old Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 12:42 AM   #13
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,250

Quote:
the design that didn't show the trap. I am sure there is a name for that style.
"exposed trapway" vs. "skirted" or "concealed trapway"
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:04 AM   #14
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 1,776

I"ll have to endorse my favorite, here. Niagara Conservation, two piece, ADA, elongated bowl. Normal flush for a modern toilet is about 1.6 gallons. These use 0.8 gallons and flush completely. Cost is about $170 and in stock at HD.

Wifey has an AS C4 in her bathroom, but I find that it is getting "lazy" with the flushes. Could need adjustment, not sure, since I don't use it much.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:26 AM   #15

Between the AS cadet 3 and champion 4. The champ 4 comes in a 2 piece also. Bigger size valves but new style flushing system. Anyone prefer one over the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement