Buy Vs. Build, Shelving For Storage - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 330

Buy vs. build, shelving for storage

Buying vs. Building Shelves

I've got a 2 car w/ some issues that make using a pre-made shelving system a bit inefficient (back wall is exterior wall which has a 36" tall foundation wall creating a 12" deep shelf that I can't get to line up w/ pre-made ... same wall has a 4' stretch that makes up a "stack wall" for plumbing which protrudes even further ... I've got a low ceiling in the center perpendicular to parking direction for the main beam and HVAC chase)

I'm looking at building shelves, but my only experience has me default to 2x4's and sheet goods... I know that can work, but it's also bulky and extremely difficult to reconfigure.

I had considered Closetmaid or similar products, but the deepest wire / shelftrak option is ~21" which is less than I need, ideally I'd like 24-36" deep shelves. I'm also looking to hold a few hundred pounds per shelf in a few cases.

Are there some other options I should be looking at?
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 10:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,826

Re: Buy vs. build, shelving for storage

There is always steel . All you need are average skills , a cheap drill press & an angle grinder .........
dd57chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2019, 11:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,805

All my shelves are made out of 2x4's and plywood. I love them. Everything is screwed and glued. I put hundreds of pounds on there and hang on them like a monkey. They would be tough to reconfigure, I guess, but that hasn't been an issue for me. If you want to make it reconfigurable, just put it together with some big nuts and bolts and washers. I don't see an issue there.

My brother has vertical 2x4's with slots every 4 inches. He can slide shelves in and out all day. That's more handy if you are storing a bunch of small stuff.

If you want to make it less bulky, use 2x3's instead of 2x4's. Save a few bucks. Still plenty of strength.
mathmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 834

The 12" deep shelf could always be built out with 2x4 to make a platform, upon which you could set a standard shelving unit.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 796

I have Gorilla shelving that goes together with no fasteners needed. Hold a ton of weight and changing a shelf height can be done with the shelving unit in place. I bought mine from a company that had gone out of business and everything was at an auction. It has been in use for 35 years.

I would look for used industrial grade shelving over new consumer grade shelving. If I had to go with new shelving I would go with commercial grade double slot rails or standards that will support 24" deep shelves with the metal brackets. See www.richelieu.com

Commercial grade shelving is made for use in warehouses and retail and manufacturing environments and is heavier duty than what one can find at a building supply store. If you are ordering by the dozen you can get a price break unlike at a big box retailer.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement