Buried Construction Debris - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree16Likes

Old 05-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 128

buried construction debris

Hello all, it appears that who ever did the renovations on my house before I owned it, just buried all the construction debris around the yard. whenever I'm digging in my yard, I come across broken concrete, tile, lumber, bricks,etc. Is this standard practice, or the person didn't do the right thing? also, are there any regulations covering this sort of practice? thanks
Startingover likes this.
woodypecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 9,128

Re: buried construction debris

There is where I live, lumber and drywall for sure, maybe not so much for concrete.
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 11:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 8,694

He didn't do the right thing but when no one is looking that is standard practice. Depending upon your termite population any buried wood invites those critters to have a yard party and when that wood is gone they turn to your house. Consider treating around your foundation as that was a big hole before they filled it in.

Bud
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 1,936

Oooh, not here. We have C&D dump sites that take all the construction and demolition debris for a small fee. Inspections are too close together to allow the practice.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
retired painter

Rewards Points: 322

In the southeast for the most part you aren't allowed to bury construction debris on the jobsite, especially anything wood! You'd have to contact your local permit office to find out if it's allowed in your area. Here in the south my biggest concern with buried wood would be termites.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:19 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,796

Just because it's not right, and isn't allowed, doesn't mean it isn't a common practice when they can get away with it!
Startingover likes this.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,334

Construction debris is a darn good reason to inspect under a deck.
Startingover likes this.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,564

Every spot in my yard where grass won't grow is a buried rock or piece of concrete and every spot with mushrooms growing is a buried chunk of dimension lumber.
Oso954 likes this.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #9
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 2,300

It happens many places.

And it's not legal, but when they can get away with it, many will, just to save the wastefill costs.

I have dug up broken toys on my place over the last 35 years, plastics don't deteriorate very fast.

Next time that I am resurrected, I'm going to ask for a plastic body.

AKA, a KEN DOLL .

ED
Bondo and Startingover like this.
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 9,850

They found an old car or truck tire when digging holes for my deck footings. Seems augers don't go through rubber very well.

I was talking to a home builder a while back, who told me about the time he found an old school bus while digging for a foundation.
de-nagorg likes this.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:45 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodypecker View Post
Hello all, it appears that who ever did the renovations on my house before I owned it, just buried all the construction debris around the yard. whenever I'm digging in my yard, I come across broken concrete, tile, lumber, bricks,etc. Is this standard practice, or the person didn't do the right thing? also, are there any regulations covering this sort of practice? thanks
Definitely not the right thing to do. I have seen contractors bury construction debris inside of walls in houses and outside around the foundation. One contractor I wired a few basements for would put all of his scrape pieces of drywall inside the basement walls. Many years ago I was digging trenches for underground wiring in an established townhouse development. Near one particular building with every shovelful there were pieces of vinyl siding. The deeper I went the more pieces came up and got bigger.
de-nagorg likes this.

MrElectrician.TV
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:09 AM   #12
retired painter

Rewards Points: 322

Quote:
Definitely not the right thing to do. I have seen contractors bury construction debris inside of walls in houses and outside around the foundation.
Yrs ago I lived next to a dilapidated mobile home. A new family moved in and cleaned up the yard but when they started on the trailer I realized that every bad floor he tore out, he just dumped all the debris thru the open floor before installing new plywood. I don't think you could pay me enough to crawl under that trailer!
de-nagorg likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,058

Buried concrete is very common, especially around older homes. Bricks too, but lumber is a no-no. It used to be that the conscientious builder would just bury the broken concrete deeper than the hack builder.
Startingover and de-nagorg like this.
NotYerUncleBob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #14
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,338

Come across it all the time.

In residential, concrete & brick anywhere outside, but I've found many a pee bottle hidden in walls. Apparently a requirement according to many tradesmen I guess (they always seem to be Mountain Dew bottles).

In commercial I see it sometimes with masonry and flatwork. They like to bury the steel strapping and plastic wrap in masonry cavities (i.e. false walls) and under flatwork if its encased with a foundation or something (all with no requirement for water drainage or anything). I think they do it just for fun, not because they are lazy. I remember exactly which buildings and where each time I caught it, it really bugs me.
de-nagorg likes this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #15
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 2,300

I have found beer bottles from the early 1900's in attics and walls, left from I guess the construction crews, end of day shut down beer.

Who knows, what can be left behind by people.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement