Building Window Exterior Blind Stops - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By carpdad
  • 1 Post By carpdad

Old 09-26-2019, 06:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 864

Building window exterior blind stops

What size material should i build blind stops out of? How deep should the stops be?

3/4" plywood work?

I will be bending metal coil around the exterior vinyl siding to finish the job.
Attached Thumbnails
Building window exterior blind stops-img_5970.jpg  
jaketrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2019, 09:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 504

Re: Building window exterior blind stops

Plywood is too vulnerable since sheetmetal cover seals can fail. I would rip 5/4 x6 pressure treated deckings for thin enough but thick enough not to split or such. Another way would be just use treated 2x2 since your jamb is wide. 2x2 could make it easier to bend the sheetmetals. The stops should be wide enough to cover 1/4-1/2" of the vinyl face.
jaketrades likes this.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2019, 09:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad;
Plywood is too vulnerable since sheetmetal cover seals can fail. I would rip 5/4 x6 pressure treated deckings for thin enough but thick enough not to split or such. Another way would be just use treated 2x2 since your jamb is wide. 2x2 could make it easier to bend the sheetmetals. The stops should be wide enough to cover 1/4-1/2" of the vinyl face.
I like the 5/4 x 6 PT decking approach. If I ripped into 3 pieces it would be just less than 1 3/4". I could also just cut them in half. 2 3/4"

My windows are 1/4" smaller in width & 1/2" smaller in height than my rough opening. That would cover 7/8" in width and 3/4" in height of the window.

Should I caulk the edge of the stop that will contact the window before I push the window in?

Thanks!!!
jaketrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2019, 08:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 504

I don't think pre-caulking is needed, although it is better. But the window may need adjusting or maybe even removing and retrying, so caulk could make it messy.

Sometimes, I did make a little space for caulk with cabinet door bumps, away from the edge. Paint the stops, inside and outside to finish coats, before you install the windows.
Since you aren't working from outside:

1. think of someway to anchor the window from inside, even if with the stops. 2x4 across the opening and strings, or such.
2. you will have to install the window as a whole. Jambs may have to be pushed in or out, depending on sash operation. Don't make it too easy to operate since that makes it more leaky with vinyl windows. Once the window is properly installed, then you can remove the sash to finish whatever is needed outside.
jaketrades likes this.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement