Briggs And Stratton Small Engine - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2016, 03:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 558

briggs and stratton small engine

Its 250cc engine on a wood chipper. B&S site does not id it. Manual does not id it. I had to piece together some info from the sellers, northern-tool, ebay, etc. It's bought and in the garage, but I'd like to know just one more thing about it.
The bottom of the photo, where the shaft is, right side has a yellow cap-I'm certain that is the engine oil (has a filler gauge). Left side has 2 caps, white and yellow. I think they are for gear oil. My problem is not knowing if this engine needs gear oil or not.
B&S manual lists 2 kinds: 6:1 (needs oil) and 2:1 (does not need oil).
Northerntool spec list says this engine does not have a gear reduction (means straight 1:1 spin of shaft to the cutter? - would appreciate yes/no on this).
The 2 left caps could be just extra part thats not functional for this engine, but I can't find any info on it. Anybody know about this?
I called B&S but was put on hold and ran out of time.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
briggs and stratton small engine-1.jpg  
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 418

Re: briggs and stratton small engine

Yellow caps are for checking/adding engine oil. White cap plugs a threaded dipstick hole (optional).

I have several similar engines and use the white plug hole to add oil while I have a yellow one removed to observe oil level.

Have a GREAT DAY!

RR
Rough Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rough Rooster For This Useful Post:
carpdad (09-07-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,384

Just looks like all the B&S engines I have on my chipper, lawn vacs, ECT.
Two different ways to check the oil level depending on what it's installed on.
Oil just needs to be level with the bottom of the plug hole.
carpdad (09-07-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies but I don't think I got my answer. Gear oil is specifically different from the engine oil (as specified from the manual and other sources). The numbers looked like differential fluid numbers. During the search, I also found out there are many different kinds of B&S engines under 1150 series. I am assuming those are for the gears only because some videos showing gear damage around the shaft. I have no real idea. I'll try to talk to the B&S tech and see what those white and yellow plugs on the left are for. As in a differential or transmission, I am guessing bottom yellow is for draining and top is for filling. They kind of buried the white plug and looks like I need some kind of dedicated socket or very broad flat tip driver.
The right side yellow plug is definitely for the engine oil. There is also 3/8 square plug for draining under the fill plug. That is another reason why I think the left plugs are for something else. Why give us two different engine oil fill plugs?
This wordy post is also academic since my engine may have no gears as such.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:10 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 262

Quote:
I have no real idea.
Ayuh,.... The motor in the picture is direct drive, No gear reduction,....

Motor oil Only,.... No gear oil,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
carpdad (09-28-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 07:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 18,384

The white plug is where a dip stick would be if whatever it was used on covered up the two other plugs.
They can make one engine that can be used on many types of application by casting one side cover for many applications.
carpdad (09-28-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 248

There is a little bit of doubt because the picture that you have posted is from the web, so may vary from yours, but, assuming that your engine looks exactly like the one in the picture, with nothing more hanging off the end of it, I agree with the others in that I do not see a gear reduction, so also agree that you do not need gear oil, both yellow caps are for adding engine oil, depending on the application, and the white cap is for a dipstick, which would be optional, again depending on application. As far as the manual, I'm not suggesting ignoring it, but there probably are engines in that particular line that do have a gear reduction, so you just have to stick to the details that apply to your particular engine used for your particular application. In regard to one of your original questions, yes, if Northern says the engine used on this piece of equipment does not have a gear reduction, which sounds right to me for a chipper, you have a "1:1" ratio to the chipper. Someplace on the engine, by the way, probably stamped into the fan shroud, you should find an actual model number, not a series like 1150, which you could plug into the B&S website, and possibly, although not necessarily, find some more specific details.

Last edited by DexterII; 09-07-2016 at 08:40 PM.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
carpdad (09-28-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,906

Take off both yellow caps, if you can see across or see a light across, that should settle it for you. Might have to rotate the crank by hand.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChuckF. For This Useful Post:
carpdad (09-28-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #9
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 990

A plug that has a different looking or non-standard head could be a manufacturing plug, access for a sensor, etc. Can't really tell without a service manual.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
carpdad (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 08:27 AM   #10

Thank you all for your insight. Took a while but Troybilt replied that this engine is direct drive and does not have a gear compartment. I guess this is about the cheapest engine it builds. There is no cast or stamped numbers anywhere. I found a gum label on the bottom of the engine with the model and serial number. I'll try that sunshine trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement