Brick Tile On Wall - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg

Old 10-20-2019, 01:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Brick tile on wall

Hi,

We had a contractor install brick tile on some walls in our home. The look I was after was an old, exposed brick wall; the kind you see in lofts, or older homes, buildings, etc. The contractor did great work, except that itís too perfect. When my brother in law saw it, he thought it was wallpaper, which was really disheartening because it certainly had a different price tag than wallpaper(!). Itís missing the distressed, old look I was going for. It still looks beautiful, but Iíd like there to be more texture. Is there a way to do that? I thought maybe if I put more grout on the grout lines and smeared it around a bit? The tile has a nice texture to it, but because the grout is so flush, there is no depth, and evidence of texture gets lost. Iíve attached a few pictures.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
Brick tile on wall-5f4352f5-5d33-471b-a201-61ea4ef8aae1.jpg   Brick tile on wall-ec5f32b3-1db8-4b2e-a76e-6a7202ab7737.jpg   Brick tile on wall-0616b19f-6043-4ba4-9816-1c5dfa1befdb.jpg  
Brickwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 464

Re: Brick tile on wall

Wow, what a good job. I have never heard of someone wanting to distress such, and have no idea how to go about it. Welcome to the forums, though.
firehawkmph likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,760

Beautiful craftsmanship.

Seems a shame to distress it.

But ; if'n it wuz me, I'd get a heavy dog chain, about 5 feet long, and remove everything breakable from the room, stand back and WAIL the heck out of it to distress it.

Then you will need to hire a counselor, to come in and put the tile at ease that the one beating was for it's own good, and won't happen again.

ED
huesmann likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 04:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,713

There are all different kinds of mortar joints. You could theoretically grind it out and redo the mortar.

https://theconstructor.org/building/...t-types/24636/

You could also get some real bricks and slice them instead of using tiles. Maybe if you replace several of those tiles with real brick slices that are a little thicker, they would stick out more and give a little depth?

Or a mortar wash. Yeah, that's a thing too. You gotta find a good mason with a little artistic talent.
mathmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 120

2x that the work is too neat. Bricks already look old, although probably simulated. You could hire somebody or diy and grind out the joints to give the WHOLE wall some depth, but I don't think the wall belongs there with classic window, door, trims and paint. And the whole mix doesn't really work because the area is too small. That's what it looks like to me.
The photos Ive seen were fairly large wall in a converted warehouse types. Word often used for them is organic. Yours looks like a paper because everything is too smooth.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 362

IMO the brick veneer looks like wallpaper because the mortar joints are too flat; not recessed enough. Because it's so flat, it doesn't give you the 3D look that real bricks do, and just looks like wallpaper. Getting the mortar joints recessed and/or physically distressing (chipping) some of the bricks is the only thing that'll keep it from looking like wallpaper.
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement