Basement Seepage Through Floor | Interior Drain Tile Installed - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By concretemasonry

Old 10-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Basement seepage through floor | interior drain tile installed

Hi! We just had some record-breaking October rain in Chicago and although my basement wasn't flooded, we did have some minor seepage up through our basement floor under some brand new carpeting.

I peeled back the carpeting and removed the damp pad until the area where the pad was dry. Running a high powered fan on the area and the carpet for 24 hours currently.

My next move is where I am unsure. I will most likely fill the cracks where I can see the seepage entered from in my concrete floor, however I am aware this is most certainly a temporary solution. I have an interior drain tile system already that works overtime, but with the record rain we had, the water table below our foundation must have been extremely high (we had an unfinished basement for 2+ years with no water seepage - of course we finish it this year!).

Beyond the interior drain tiles, plus we have routed all of our downspouts to the middle of our yard previously, what else can help remedy basement seepage from a high water table in extremely heavy rains?

Thanks in advance!
duffeymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,098

Re: Basement seepage through floor | interior drain tile installed

A second pump set a little higher than the first. So if the first can't keep up the other will kick in.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #3

The sump pump is performing OK and keeping up. The issue is water seeping up through a crack in the middle of my basement concrete floor. I am not clear how a second pump would help me here - can you explain further? Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffeymt View Post
The sump pump is performing OK and keeping up. The issue is water seeping up through a crack in the middle of my basement concrete floor. I am not clear how a second pump would help me here - can you explain further? Thanks in advance for the help!
Then it is taking to long for the perimeter drain to bring the water to the sump.
Other than improving that I don't know what you could do.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 8,110

As Neal said, the water can be arriving faster than it can migrate over to where your pump is. Similar problem and we installed 3 pumps, but in 3 different areas. The objective was to lower the water table under the slab during those rain events.

What you are experiencing is very common. What looks to be a dry basement gets finished only to discover it is still a hole in the ground that can fill from many sources.

If the water is infiltrating from around your foundation, an extra pump or two might catch it before it gets up through the floor. If the water is arriving directly under the floor than that is where the extra pump (or drain line) will need to go.

The other moisture aspect all basements face is moisture vapor passing right through the concrete. Even if you lower the liquid part the moisture will still soak through. Resources available.

Converting a basement into finished living space is high risk, that's where the phrase "musty smell" originated.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,716

It appears that the existing perforated drain pipes are not deep enough. They operate as a means to lower the water level near and under the house on a 24/7 basis, by providing large/huge storage capacity of the soil to absorb the short term (less than 24 hours) rain without penetration into the interior. - They also do make up for the deficiencies in the "waterproof" coatings on the exterior basement walls. - Normally, a good interior or exterior drain tile system has the invert(bottom) of the 3" or 4" pipe below the bottom of the footings with a 2" cushion/collector of sand under the pipe.

The so called interior drain "tiles" sitting on the basement slab and attached to the walls are just collectors after the water has entered the basement.

Dick
Bud9051 likes this.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
It appears that the existing perforated drain pipes are not deep enough. They operate as a means to lower the water level near and under the house on a 24/7 basis, by providing large/huge storage capacity of the soil to absorb the short term (less than 24 hours) rain without penetration into the interior. - They also do make up for the deficiencies in the "waterproof" coatings on the exterior basement walls. - Normally, a good interior or exterior drain tile system has the invert(bottom) of the 3" or 4" pipe below the bottom of the footings with a 2" cushion/collector of sand under the pipe.

The so called interior drain "tiles" sitting on the basement slab and attached to the walls are just collectors after the water has entered the basement.

Dick
Thanks Dick, very informative. Are you suggesting that the drain system that is installed on my interior along the bottom of our basement walls is currently only collecting and removing water that has already found its way in? And I am lacking (most likely entirely) some sort of exterior system that would collect and remove water away from the foundation?

If that is the case, considering I am getting water up through the basement floor in the middle of the basement (away from the foundation walls a good 10 feet), what system would help prevent water rising this high under my foundation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement