Basement Cove Leaking And What Else? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gary in WA

Old 04-29-2017, 11:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Basement cove leaking and what else?

Hi There
I am living in a tiny bungalow that is about 80 years old.I have been here about 25 years.It has houses on both sides that are about 4 feet away.This is a knock down neighbourhood-the land is what is worth something now
I have always had a bit of seepage in the basement-you know a face cloths worth after a rain-and figured it goes with the older home stuff.
I had a monster home built in the back of me last year-but I still have about 60 feet of yard in the back.
During the spring we had a lot of rain and water was all over the basement about 8 hours after the rain.Not during the rain.
I am guessing an underground river got diverted with the new house.The old building that was there did not have a basement.
I gutted the basement to the bare walls and concrete floor-except for a new ceramic bathroom that I had put in 2 years ago.Some of the new water seems to be coming from that area-but it is impossible for me as I can stay down all day and have no water leakage and go down in the morning and there be a few gallons of water to suck up.
I have had 2 contractors come in-both offering indoor systems.
one was the weeping tiles and one an under floor drain system that has great ratings on Homestars.
I do not have a sump pump.
I an begging for advice.
Don't want to move-love my garden-and have a disabled relative that I need to stay in the city for.
I am wondering-since I want to stay here 10 years-the house is knockdown value only-whether there is some kind of thing I can do myself downstairs to channel the water to the drain?
I don't know if unloading a couple cans of expanding foam insulation would seal under that bathroom where water seems to be coming.
And I don't know if there is any way to stick something to the floor to channel the water along the perimeter.I have already done the eaves trough.extending the downspouts,regraded surface area,tarred around the perimeter,placed heavy rubber under the driveway gravel-sloped away from the house.
Interested what others have to say and what advice to give.
I have also tried the hydraulic cement along the coves as I saw water creep in but the water kept coming in at different spots.
Any suggestions????
Start ripping her down and put up a tent?:vs_boom:
neighbour sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2017, 10:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 30

Re: Basement cove leaking and what else?

I would install a sump pump and and indoor drainage system under the basement floor. That's going to involve putting a drain channel inside the walls and lots of concrete cutting. You obviously have underground water flow and nothing is going to stop it.
jstaubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 6,574

Depends on how much water we are talking about.

In indoor system, while still not my favorite, will be the less costly and easier to produce system.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2017, 04:58 PM   #4

Thanks
The price for the interior piping system is about 10 grand here-without the sump pump.
I just think-why not run it along the surface edge.I know-not proper.I am willing to live with that .I just don`t know what will work.
The house is a knock down.Basically sound(I know)but about 700 square feet.Basically a condo with a backyard and parking and storage in the basement.Land value is what it is worth for anyone but me...
Old 04-30-2017, 10:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 526

---------------Welcome to the forums!----------------------

Since the water is coming from a bathroom wall, does that wall have plumbing in it? Did you shut off water supply to that bathroom and still have water under wall in morning?

Gary
dd57chevy likes this.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:32 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 18

A few years back in Family Handyman magazine, i used to see ads for a "baseboard" type of drainage system. As i recall you would drill holes near the floor in each block cavity, and then epoxy the "baseboard" (which has holes in the back of it) to the wall and floor, snd that would connect to a sump pit or floor drain. Sorry, but I dont recall the name of the product. Hopefully others here will know.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #7

Hi
Thanks for helping.
The water is not coming from bathroom piping.If anything it is from behind the wall.
I did discover,now that I have the subfloor out in the room attached to the bathroom that there is some water coming in that has the POTENTIAL to go behind the shower and onto the other side of the floor.
The floor was so bad-like a sponge under the layer of plywood and tiles that I could imagine the water getting as far as the bathroom.
I tossed some buckets of water on the floor to watch the drainage.A lot of the new stuff could be coming from one spot.
I am thinking a better dehumidifier on one side of the basement and a sump pump on the other side,until I know for sure what is happening.
The surface drainage product is called Drytrax(spelling?)There is a Youtube video on it.But comments have been disabled.
I don't know whether filling in that gap behind the shower wall would cause some kind of problem.It would sure help in diagnosing if I blocked the side with the room so that any water there stays in the room and any water that develops behind the bathroom would end up in the furnace room.At least I would know where it is coming from and could start on trying to find out what is really going on.
Don't know why my computer switched to italics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement