Attaching Walls To Heated Concrete - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Bud9051
  • 1 Post By Domo
  • 1 Post By Bryan n Deb
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 01-13-2019, 07:38 PM  

Rewards Points: 152

Attaching walls to heated concrete

We are about at the stage were we are building the interior walls and Im a little spooked by the thought of drilling into the concrete with the Pex tubing in it. I know it "should" be 2"+ under the surface but Ive never been a betting man.
Thoughts and options? Appreciate it guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2019, 08:57 PM  
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,590

Re: Attaching walls to heated concrete

Build your walls with snug studs or it is tight to the floor and use 2" concrete nails or shot nails. You don't have to hold it down just stop it from sliding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019, 07:43 AM  

Rewards Points: 4,838

I've done some infrared scans of heated floors and in one case actually found the Pex exposed on the surface. But IR may be able to identify where those heat pipes are located. It might require some cooling on the surface, like a fan, to enhance the image, but much better to know where they are than to put a nail through one.

Bud
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019, 08:00 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
I've done some infrared scans of heated floors and in one case actually found the Pex exposed on the surface. But IR may be able to identify where those heat pipes are located. It might require some cooling on the surface, like a fan, to enhance the image, but much better to know where they are than to put a nail through one.

Bud
Thanks for making me more nervous than I already was. We will not be heating the floor for quite some time now. The concrete guys did lay some rebar on the pex but did warn that it can float. Heating guy says its not moving and the concrete was a pretty hot mix so it shouldn't have moved.....
Old 01-14-2019, 08:50 AM  

Rewards Points: 4,838

I've used construction adhesive under a bottom plate for other reasons (latch side of door) and I don't know what codes would say, but modern adhesives are good.

Here's an old forum discussion on the subject and i liked the idea of pulling a small magnet down through the pex and scanning the surface with a stud finder. I've had to pull wires through conduit and started with a thread and a cotton ball. With compressed air you can send that cotton ball through the tube and then slowly increase to a small string and then to a stronger string. Once you have something through there that you can pull back and forth and detect that magnet you start marking lines.

Bud
mathmonger likes this.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:19 AM  

Rewards Points: 814

I agree with just using construction adhesive, for now.

Once the heating system is up and running you can use an infrared camera to accurately locate the pex lines.

As far as the pex "floating".... if it's installed correctly, and tied to the mesh, and the mesh is tied to concrete dobies, that should not be an issue.

The concrete dobies, and heavy 6 gauge mesh (or rebar), are the key to keeping everything in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching walls to heated concrete-flir.jpg   Attaching walls to heated concrete-pex-concrete-diagram.jpg   Attaching walls to heated concrete-dobie-000.jpg   Attaching walls to heated concrete-dobie-002.jpg  

Last edited by HenryMac; 01-14-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:47 AM  

Are they putting down 8 inches of concrete there? Here is our installation. Pretty standard around here. They did lay some 3/8 rebar on top of it on 4 foot centers.
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching walls to heated concrete-img_20181023_175423_1540510845442.jpg  

Last edited by Bryan n Deb; 01-14-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:40 PM  
Contractor/Engineer

Rewards Points: 1,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan n Deb View Post
We are about at the stage were we are building the interior walls and Im a little spooked by the thought of drilling into the concrete with the Pex tubing in it. I know it "should" be 2"+ under the surface but Ive never been a betting man.
Thoughts and options? Appreciate it guys!
Rent a thermal scanner from Home Depot, turn on the heat then then mark where the tubing REALLY is.

The scanner will be much cheaper than tearing up part of the floor to do a repair even if you had to buy it!
Old 01-14-2019, 05:50 PM  
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 282

Quote:
Are they putting down 8 inches of concrete there? Here is our installation. Pretty standard around here. They did lay some 3/8 rebar on top of it on 4 foot centers.
99% of the radiant floors we pour concrete over are executed just like youre's in the picture. Unless the staples were placed too far apart, or the concrete guys were overly rough with the placement of the concrete, I wouldn't worry about drilling a few dozen holes an inch or less into the top of slab.

I've poured and sawn control joints into a few thousand yards of heated concrete slabs, where I saw about 1.25" deep with a early entry saw. I've actually sawn control joints over a heated slab that was 2.25" thick in the past, and a lot of them for that matter, as it was sawn in a 3' tile pattern. Knock on wood, I've yet to cut through a pex tube sawing control joints.

That said, it would obviously be much easier to have the heat on to get a clearer vision on where the tubes are below to avoid them.

On another note, I finished a basement once and didn't use very good, or enough, anchors into the floor, and the carpet guy moved one of the walls stretching the carpet, so I'd suggest more than friction and glue to anchor it to the floor.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:51 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Rent a thermal scanner from Home Depot, turn on the heat then then mark where the tubing REALLY is.

The scanner will be much cheaper than tearing up part of the floor to do a repair even if you had to buy it!
I may not have a way to heat it for quite awhile but we need to build walls now.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:32 PM  
Contractor/Engineer

Rewards Points: 1,084

Quote:
I may not have a way to heat it for quite awhile but we need to build walls now.
Find the end and attach a black garden hose filled with water that sat in the sun for a few hours - hot or cold water will work - or, you can use heated air - anything that will give a temperature differential. I'm with you and would be afraid of fracturing the cement and stressing the PEX or piercing the PEX with a fastener - I'd even consider getting a big pot of water over a fire and putting using a "drill pump" to cycle the heated water through the pex until it got warm enough to map.

Good luck!
Msradell likes this.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:38 PM  
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Find the end and attach a black garden hose filled with water that sat in the sun for a few hours - hot or cold water will work - or, you can use heated air - anything that will give a temperature differential. I'm with you and would be afraid of fracturing the cement and stressing the PEX or piercing the PEX with a fastener - I'd even consider getting a big pot of water over a fire and putting using a "drill pump" to cycle the heated water through the pex until it got warm enough to map.

Good luck!
Or just hook the garden hose to the washer hot tap and make an adaptor for in floor system.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:01 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Or just hook the garden hose to the washer hot tap and make an adaptor for in floor system.
What one is hot??
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching walls to heated concrete-49454789_10214576729505519_340049886722392064_o.jpg  
jomama45 likes this.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:05 PM  
retired framer

Quote:
What one is hot??
How far to the neighbours. The snow would help you see the warm lines.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:10 PM  
retired framer

Quote:
What one is hot??
There are people who rent hot water.
https://www.wareinc.com/boiler-renta...-boiler-rental
Bryan n Deb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement