ALERT - TyRoc Problem - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 117

ALERT - TyRoc Problem

Just wanted to let everyone know that if they are using a product called TyRoc for a sub-floor underlayment DO NOT use PL Premium polyurethane constructive adhesive as suggested by the manufacturer.

I purchased 166 pieces of TyRoc about 2 weeks ago from a local authorized re-seller here in Delaware. This is the first time I am using this product. I read over their website for hours, watch all of their TyrRoc installation videos, and even called TyRoc last month prior to my purchase.

When I called, I asked about which is the correct construction adhesive to use since I saw may different types being used in the videos vs to what they currently recommend. I was told to use PL Premium polyurethane base construction adhesive.

Henkel, the manufacturer of Loctite PL Premium, states this on their website about PL Premium: "Certain materials such as rubbers and plastics may have bonding difficulties; test before use"

So I cut up a piece of TyRoc into wide strips and did a test with PL Premium. 36 hours later I picked up the two pieces that were glued with PL Premium and they fell apart. The adhesive did not bond to the rubber part of TyRoc at all. The manufacture date of the PL Premium was just 60 days ago so the glue was not old either. It gunned and looked normal also so it wasn't frozen before.

I also tried the same test with PL 400 sub-floor adhesive. 24 hours later, I could not get those two pieces apart.

I am glad I did this test prior to installing or this would of been disastrous! Unfortunately I had to waste a piece of TyRoc to do this test. I sent an email to TyRoc today.

tommyxv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tommyxv For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (12-03-2013), Pittsville (12-04-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,108

tommyxv,

I am not familiar with the TyRoc product as Advantec rules the roost locally. Thank you for your posting, I'm sure others will appreciate it as well.

Let us know what you hear back from your email.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 117

Gary,

It's an underlayment for basements, kind of like Dri-Core.

I got a response from TyRoc stating that they are looking into to it and that "Loctite did this to us a couple of years ago when they changed their formula on PL 200"

I'll follow up when I get more info from them.

Thanks!
tommyxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement