Aerobars Wont Tighten Onto Handle Bars! - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2015, 06:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Aerobars wont tighten onto handle bars!

Hi,

So I have another problem with my aerobar installation. Im trying to clamp the aerobars onto the handlebars of my bike, but they just slip around and wont stay fixed. Ive tightened the bolts as much as I can, but they still slip around.

I think its because the bike handlebar is not uniform diameter. Ive been given metal'spacers' but I have a feeling they are used for another purpose.

How can I fix the bars rigidly onto the bike? :S
Soffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2015, 07:00 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Post a link to the items you mentioned----I assumed you are working on a bicycle --but have little clue ar to what and 'aerobar' is.
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2015, 07:51 AM   #3

Here are photos of the aerobars
Attached Thumbnails
Aerobars wont tighten onto handle bars!-02.jpg-original.jpg   Aerobars wont tighten onto handle bars!-03.jpg-original.jpg  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

the aerobars are designed to fit onto a particular size of handlebar. There is more than one size.

if you are talking about those 8 pieces in the first picture with this statement:

Quote:
Ive been given metal'spacers'
I believe those are exactly what you are needing, at least 4 of them. If my old eyes serve me well, there are two sets of 4 with each set being a different thickness. If so, those are spacers to make the aerobars fit on a couple of smaller tube sizes as well as the larger one you can install them on without any spacers.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried both sizes of spacers on the handle bars but the handlebars are actually of larger diameter than both sizes. So surely the handlebars aren't too small?

It is true that the handle bars are not of uniform diameter, unlike the tube demoed in one of the photos. I have a feeling its something to do with that.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soffie View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I tried both sizes of spacers on the handle bars but the handlebars are actually of larger diameter than both sizes. So surely the handlebars aren't too small?

It is true that the handle bars are not of uniform diameter, unlike the tube demoed in one of the photos. I have a feeling its something to do with that.
what do you mean they are not uniform diameter? most handlebars are made of round tubing. There is a often a bulge where they set in the steering head and of course where there is a bend the pipe will be distorted but other than that, they are typically round.

but that is what those spacers are for. It sounds like you have an atypical situation.

Can you take a picture of your handlebars where you are trying to mount this accessory? It might help make some sense of it and it might allow for some suggestions that otherwise would not be tossed out there.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:38 PM   #7

Problem solved- I wasn't attaching the aero bars on the correct part of the handlebar. They should've been attached closer to the centre.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Old 09-07-2015, 04:42 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

so since the area closer to the center is round while near the bends it is ovalled but the same circumference, did you end up using a set of the spacers?
Old 09-08-2015, 03:08 AM   #9

No i didnt need the spacers in the end. It was actually quite a tight fit around the handle bars when I attached them
The Following User Says Thank You to Soffie For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-08-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 50

You need the hard rubber gasket to fit around the handlebar. On mine, one holds beautifully and the other was sloppy. I had bought a new bike computer same as the old one so I didn't need the rubber gasket and I used it on the aerobars and now it's as good and tight as the other one. Go to a bike store and ask if they have, or can you buy the rubber gasket.
BobHatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bike aerobar bolts tools