Quick, Easy And Tasty Chicken Or Pork Weeknight Dinner - Cook It Yourself - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Cook It Yourself

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ktownskier

Old 05-28-2019, 08:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 628

Quick, easy and tasty Chicken or Pork weeknight dinner

Lately, spring has been teasing us here. We have had a couple days in the high 70's and the snow a couple days later. For those return to winter days, I try and cook something warming.

I usually try and have Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts or Thighs on hand as well as Boneless Pork Loin Chops. I buy them in bulk and vacuum pack them. For the pork, I buy a whole loin when it is on sale and then slice my own and vacuum pack them.

Among my other staples I have on hand are Low Sodium Chicken Broth and Chicken Stock. (Why add water when you can add flavor?) and Stuffing Mix. (Both the Stovetop version and the stuff your turkey version)

I take out whichever protein I decide on for dinner from the freezer and put it in the fridge to thaw.

About an hour before dinner, I make my spice rub. Regardless of the protein it always has:
Granulated Garlic
Granulated Onion
Kosher Salt
Touch of Sugar
For chicken I add
Rosemary
Sage
Smoked Paprika (Hot or Sweet depending on the flavor route I want to go)
And what every else tickles my fancy.
For Pork, I add to the basic mixture:
Ground Ginger (I think ginger goes well with pork)
Ground Cumin (not a lot)
Ground Rosemary
More granulated garlic.

I dry off the protein so that the spice rub sticks to it better and set it aside.

I have a thick copper bottom pan that is stainless (No non-stick for this dish)

The burner is set to medium to medium high and allowed to warm up. Turn the oven on to 325 for Pork and 375 for chicken.

While the pan is heating up, I make the stuffing mix. StoveTop or from scratch, whichever I am in the mood for.

One thing I ALWAYS use is either chicken stock or broth. And butter. Use the real stuff!

While the stock/broth and butter are heating up, I check the other pan to see if it is hot enough by tossing in a few drops of water. If they disappear in less than 5 seconds, it is hot enough.

I take EVOO that I have in a squeeze bottle and paint the bottom of the pan. Then I take the protein and lay it gently in the pan away from me. Spacing them out so they are not crowded.

By this time, the stuffing mix broth/butter has probably boiled over so I remove it from the heat and add the stuffing mix, stirring it in gently so that it remains kind of fluffy. If it is a little dry, I add some more broth/stock and put it back on the heat after I turned it to low and put a cover on it. (Or turn it off as the residual heat will bring it up to temp.

I check the chicken/pork to see if it is still sticking to the pan. If it is not, then I turn it over. If it is, I let it go for another minute.

You are just browning the meat, giving it some color. You will finish it in the oven.

Once you can flip the meat, do so and let it sit and cook. Don't keep checking it. After about 4-5 minutes, you can see if the meat has released from the bottom of the pan. If it hasn't, let it go another minute or so longer.

Once you can remove the meat from the bottom of the pan, stack half of it on top of the other half. Spread half the stuffing mixture on the bare side and then stack the meat on the stuffing side and put the rest of the stuffing in the pan. Space the meat evenly and then put it in the oven. If you used a can of broth, put the rest of the broth in the bottom of the pan.

After 30 minutes of being in the oven, check the temp of the meat. I like pork at 145 and chicken at 165. If it is within 5 degrees of that, take the pan out and cover it with foil. It will continue to rise in temp as it re-distributes all the lovely juices while it rests.

You can serve this with a salad, steamed vegies, or just as is. It makes great leftovers as well.
de-nagorg and Nik333 like this.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement