OMG, $102 Per Ounce - Cook It Yourself - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Cook It Yourself

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree36Likes

Old 07-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6,796

OMG, $102 per ounce

I pulled up a receipt for a chicken pot pie to be sure I had everything on hand. Only item missing was Thyme. Never used it and unknown what it adds but I sometimes try to follow what is listed. Then I made the mistake of looking at the cost per ounce, that $102 per ounce. Amazing how that can stop ones breathing. I realize it is dried but it made me think I've bee working in the wrong businesses.

To ne fair, that isn't the highest I've seen. Waiting to get inside a bank teller line at a supermarket I was standing next to some dried producte. Dried mushrooms, just under $400 an ounce. I didn't buy any.

I will sample the Thyme and probably use it but I'm sure it will be difficult to decide if it does or doesn't add to the taste.

Any comments.

Bud
Richard F. likes this.
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 70

Re: OMG, $102 per ounce

Wow, that seems a bit much.

I have not priced it, but have priced many other things, and found a mail order shop in Denver, that has stuff by the pound, at near the same cost as my local stores have for their bitty bottles of ounce stuff.

So you guessed it, I mail order by the pound from Denver.

ED

Here is a link to one out your way, at $20.00 per pound

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thyme-Groun...kJamgzNebnFbVQ
Bud9051 likes this.

Last edited by de-nagorg; 07-09-2019 at 11:11 AM. Reason: add link
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 11:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 764

That's ridiculous. Check Amazon. I bought this last year. $0.47 an ounce. Ground thyme will be somewhat more but not $102/oz.

https://www.amazon.com/Gel-Spice-Thy...s%2C189&sr=8-7

There is no such thing as free shipping either~Wooleybooger
wooleybooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 29,268

Go to your local grocery store. It is a standard item in the spice aisle.

Noname thyme leave at Loblaws $2.79 for 45g or about 1.5oz.

https://www.loblaws.ca/Food/Pantry/H.../p/20132840_EA

Last edited by joed; 07-09-2019 at 11:25 AM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #5

I only compared the large jar with the small jar and about the same so bought the smaller to try, $6.99. Now, I didn't check their math but just pulled out the McCormick jar to check, 0.37 oz. They must calculate it differently as I get $19.90 per ounce. Mute point, but less likely to choke when eating it.

Bud
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #6

So, what does it add to the taste? Is it an essential ingredient?

Bud
Old 07-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,637

Get out! I buy thyme for 99 cents for 1.5 oz. spice jars.

I always grew it as well...havenít grown in in the last two
years cause I have so much of it.
Thyme goes a long way...a little pinch at a time - then taste.

Shoot me a pm and Iíll send ya some.

The second jar from the left is the 1.5 oz jar...
The first jar on the left is our home grown.
Attached Thumbnails
OMG, 2 per ounce-8ee65dc5-814c-47e9-a094-4597ea7cf7d3.jpg  
de-nagorg and Richard F. like this.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #8

Well Amazon seems to be better with the price and the math. They show $8 per ounce.
I printed off that image and will drop it off at the local store. I'll will also check their price label to be sure it applied to the product I bought, bu they had two different sizes and both had the same number.

Of course the person who posted those prices would never be able to double check, dividing one number by another would be tough.

Two Knots, you said a pinch, the receipe I looked at says a teaspoon, sounds like a lot?
(two pies)

Bud
https://www.walmart.com/ip/McCormick...SABEgK5FfD_BwE

Last edited by Bud9051; 07-09-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 7,261

Bud it adds flavor especially on chicken and pork. The dried ground should be fine for a pot pie. The dried, ground is about $3 per ounce here.

One recipe we got from Hello Fresh called for fresh and it was more flavorful than the ground.

Thyme is one of the major ingredients in poultry seasoning so you might be able to substitute that

OR

Quote:
If you're out of thyme, substitute an equal amount of savory, marjoram or oregano. This will come closest to the intended flavor. If you don't have any of these herbs on hand, poultry seasoning, Herbes de Provence or Italian seasoning will also work, since these spice blends all contain thyme.
source: https://www.thespruceeats.com/thyme-substitute-1388877
Old 07-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 4,637

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Well Amazon seems to be better with the price and the math. They show $8 per ounce.
I printed off that image and will drop it off at the local store. I'll will also check their price label to be sure it applied to the product I bought, bu they had two different sizes and both had the same number.

Of course the person who posted those prices would never be able to double check, dividing one number by another would be tough.

Two Knots, you said a pinch, the receipe I looked at says a teaspoon, sounds like a lot?
(two pies)

Bud
https://www.walmart.com/ip/McCormick...SABEgK5FfD_BwE
I donít like the ground...I only use the leaves...
thyme is very strong...and can be easily overdone...I use it in
stuffing and some soups like bean, lentil, and pea soup. If you add too
much all you taste is Thyme. Better to add a bit less than the recipe
calls for. Taste is essential with Thyme.

look again in your market for thyme ...Iíve never paid than 1.29 for
1.5 oz...
de-nagorg likes this.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #11

Thanks all, both the better price options and how it is used. This little jar will probably not last long but plenty of time to look around. Looking forward to the pot pie, wife requested it.

Bud
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #12

Run away, never! When needed I challenge them to FIX it. This particular store is less than a mile from me and I certainly want them to remain.

A couple of years ago I had problems with them overcharging. Item marked one price but computer charged a higher amount. Ended up dealing with a regional manager where i reported every mistake. The mistakes were actually profitable as when brought to their attention they gave me the product for free plus one dollar.

I finally spotted their problem and told that regional manager what they were doing wrong. Sale prices from previous week ended on Saturday but they store failed to change the marked priced. The computer priced automatically returned to the regular price. It took many months but eventually they got it fixed and that manager thanked me.

There is a longer story to this, but essentially I will one day enter the years when I just pay what they say and I want them to be charging me the right prices. And they are doing much better now.

Bud
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Run away, never! When needed I challenge them to FIX it. This particular store is less than a mile from me and I certainly want them to remain.

A couple of years ago I had problems with them overcharging. Item marked one price but computer charged a higher amount. Ended up dealing with a regional manager where i reported every mistake. The mistakes were actually profitable as when brought to their attention they gave me the product for free plus one dollar.

I finally spotted their problem and told that regional manager what they were doing wrong. Sale prices from previous week ended on Saturday but they store failed to change the marked priced. The computer priced automatically returned to the regular price. It took many months but eventually they got it fixed and that manager thanked me.

There is a longer story to this, but essentially I will one day enter the years when I just pay what they say and I want them to be charging me the right prices. And they are doing much better now.

Bud
Slightly off topic, but there is a certain store with a red buiiseye on it that is near by in Silverthorne, CO that is notorious for mis-marking items.

I have learned to take a picture of the sign/label and the item behind it and when I check out I show the picture to the cashier. I also have the date displayed on the picture.

I have gotten things like an All-clad sauce pan for $25.00 because it was stocked on the shelf where a T-Fal pan was supposed to go.

Simply Cranberry 2 for $3 because the sign said Simply Juice drinks 2 for $3 and a whole shelf of Simply Cranberry. The sign also said does not apply to Simply Cranberry. I had to argue a bit on that one but when I showed the picture of the end-cap display with a big sign saying Simply Juice 2 for $3 and the sign on the Simply Cranberry shelf, they sighed and gave it to me.

I have pointed this out to the store manager, operations manager and others but they just shrug their shoulders and say, we do the best we can. We need more people. (Which is true of most stores up here.)
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 6,758

@Bud9051 , looks like someone mismarked the item, as others have noted.

And, use thyme, along with oregano and marjoram a bit on the sparing side. They're bitter, and if you use too much . . . . ACK.

But don't be afraid to use them. They add subtlety and interest to food it lacks otherwise.

The best way I've found to test a new spice is to do like my cats do: stick a paw in, then take a wee taste. (After making sure paws are clean . . . ) Then try a bit in the food. Or, if you're mixing with other spices, mix together first, then taste the mixture. Thyme with sage, parsley and rosemary will be different than thyme all by itself.
DoomsDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDave View Post
@Bud9051 , The best way I've found to test a new spice is to do like my cats do: stick a paw in, then take a wee taste. (After making sure paws are clean . . . ) Then try a bit in the food. Or, if you're mixing with other spices, mix together first, then taste the mixture. Thyme with sage, parsley and rosemary will be different than thyme all by itself.
Plus, in the right order, it can make quite a hit.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement