Left-overs. YEAH Or Nay!! - Cook It Yourself - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Cook It Yourself

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree78Likes

Old 05-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 716

Left-overs. YEAH or nay!!

I have never been fond of leftovers. Especially as the youngest of 4 boys, I was the one left with the worst of the leftovers to eat.

I do occasionally make dinners where I expect to have leftovers. SloppyJoes, my Chicken and Wild Rice Hot Dish, Stew, Pot roast, Chili. And of course, Turkey dinner!!!

Other than that, I won't eat leftovers.
Cold Pizza? Not for me!!
Reheated Thai? I would rather eat Peanut butter on a Ritz cracker.

I think my aversion probably stemmed from a bout of food poisoning, but it could have been over drinking. Who knows.

So, lets hear your stand.
As a technical writer, I tend to be lengthy in my responses as I want to be accurate.
ktownskier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 2,556

Re: Left-overs. YEAH or nay!!

Often a day or two old stew, or something is better than a fresh one.

I cook meals on a large scale, divide them up into several servings, and freeze them in freezer safe containers.

That way, I can pull tomorrows dinner out of the freezer today, and add a fresh vegetable side dish, and heat it all in the microwave in 5 minutes.

Cook once eat three or more times.

Keep a dozen eggs boiled, on the refrigerator door shelf, started a half gallon jar half full of Pickled eggs, recently, after TWO KNOTS ( Joann), posted about them, so I now have a dozen of those there too.

I'll but a Family Pack of meats, and divide it up and freeze each portion, pull one out for tomorrow, today,

Grew up eating leftover stuff, Ham-hocks, and Butter Beans, over Corn Bread, .

I'll eat leftovers, unless they have grown fuzz and legs.

ED
ktownskier likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 11:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,852

Grew up as a military brat and dad would get paid on the first of the month and be broke on the second. That left my crippled mom to figure out how to pay the bills and feed my brother and myself. Anything we brought home from hunting and fishing was welcomed by my mother with extreme thanks.

So leftovers were just a way of eating everything available, nothing got thrown away.

Now, I can afford whatever I want, within reasonable limits, but I shop and cook much as ED described often cooking large portions so there will be lots of leftovers for the freezer. I think my mom would have enjoyed a microwave.

My wife lives a few miles away with my daughter to help out with her kids, 2 in the autistic spectrum and she needs all the help she can get. That leaves me holding down the house alone and cooking for one is definitely something I was never trained to do. I often deliver large meals to my daughters house as they are too busy to cook. Makes me feel good and they love it. They just finished off a nice Winter Carnival Casserole, one of my favorites and theirs.

So, yes I plan on left overs and love them. Bless the freezer and microwave.

Bud
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
What is that?

Rewards Points: 1,544

Military brat here as well. Fat boy loves left-overs. Just reheat and eat. No cooking. but when I do cook, I cook for a week full of left-overs.
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
retired painter

Rewards Points: 594

As a child most every meal included some leftovers. As an adult I don't mind leftovers and prefer them if my wife isn't around - I'll have a better meal heating up something she cooked than if I had to fend for myself.
de-nagorg and Nik333 like this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:18 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,704

As @Brainbucket , @de-nagorg , and @Bud9051 point out, leftovers are a good thing. Beats starvation, but from the chef's perspective, they're a bit of a blessing.

You can add flavor, if you want. Chinese fried rice is cooked leftovers, as is sushi, made with cooked rice, and so much else.

Just had some nice left over gumbo from about 7 months ago.
de-nagorg likes this.
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:04 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 716

Okay, Okay. I get your points of view.

I do buy meats in bulk and cut them down to size and freeze them. We did buy a 1/4 share of a cow and are using it with delicious results. Thank goodness for freezers!!

It's not that I don't like leftovers, it's that I am selective.

Since it is just my wife and I, the cooking is mostly done for two.

But, I do make a mean batch of spaghetti sauce that freezes well. The same for Chili. And when I make Meatloaf, it is just as easy to make two as it is two as it is one. And since I have a lot of ground beef from the 1/4 share, I have to come up with ways to use it besides burgers. And sloppy Joes. and Tacos.
As a technical writer, I tend to be lengthy in my responses as I want to be accurate.
ktownskier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #8
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 2,556

There is always the old Hamburger Helper.

I buy the Cheeseburger Deluxe variety, add Some Black beans, and Ro-Tel Chilies, double the meat, cook it all together, and separate it out to 4 servings.

Lasts a long time in a freezer.

ED
Drachenfire likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:52 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,766

I don't do left-overs personally. I couldn't really put my finger on why, but it's a given that anything mommy doesn't eat that night is free game. (EDIT - exception for lasagna. That is the only thing I can even think of that I've eaten as leftovers in the past 30 years o.O)

Husband on the other hand loves leftovers. I think he prefers it. I generally cook twice a week, in the beginning of the week; husband gets legitimately excited to pick and choose which leftover he wants for lunch & dinner. lol
de-nagorg likes this.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #10
Still learning every day!

Rewards Points: 774

Leftovers have always been a way of life for me. Since marrying my wife, it has been almost a requirement. We've had six kids together, and are down to only two at the house now with one of those moving out in the coming months. My wife is an absolutely amazing cook and is always adding new recipes to her recipe box, and purging older ones which we've moved on from. Everything is cooked from scratch!

She makes larger quantity meals about 3 times weekly, and we have a variety of leftovers from which to choose for the remaining days of the week, and I virtually always have leftovers for lunch at the office. The variety makes it very easy to live with.

The biggest issue over the past 4-5 years is with the kids slowly leaving home and my wife having to figure out how to slowly reduce meal quantities to keep from throwing away food, and she is a master at the process!
de-nagorg, Bud9051 and mark sr like this.

Bark less, wag MORE, and Show Compassion to everyone you meet!
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:26 AM   #11
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,894

Depends on the food. Often things like soups and stews actually taste better then next day which is why I often make them in quantities we can eat on for two or three days.
de-nagorg and CaptTom like this.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:02 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,370

My wife makes a Polish sauerkraut stew called Bigos. She makes it about a week before she plans on serving it. She will pull it out and reheat it a couple of times before serving it.

It definately tastes better served as a "leftover".
de-nagorg likes this.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:50 PM   #13
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,894

2 boxes of 4-cheese Mac & cheese and pack of angus beef franks.

Cut the franks into slivers about 1/4 inches thick and throw into the pot of boiling water at the same time as the pasta. Prepare the mac & cheese per the instructions.

A slightly different variation is to fry the frank slivers in some seasoning of choice.

Filling and taste just as good reheated.
de-nagorg and CaptTom like this.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,766

@Drachenfire I used to do that all the time. I made the mistake of making elbows and mixing in melted Velveeta once and now no one will let me go back to "the lazy way" heh

My husband prefers the beef version I do though - brown up a couple pounds of hamburger, add salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and a couple can's of sweet corn. Mix in 3/4 of a block of Velveeta then put it in a casserole dish, toss the remaining quarter of the Velveeta (cut into squares) on the top, then put it in a 400*F oven for 30 minutes or so. Husband loves the toasted Velveeta squares heh
de-nagorg and Drachenfire like this.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:42 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,076

Another vote for leftovers.

I'd say they're my favorite meal. No cooking, easy clean-up and saves money too!

As was pointed out, some things are actually better the second time around. But really, to me it's just having a good meal AND "cleaning out" the fridge without any fuss that makes leftovers so satisfying.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement