Frying Chicken? - Cook It Yourself - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Cook It Yourself

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree19Likes

Old 06-07-2019, 11:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4,893

Frying Chicken?

I've fried chicken since I was a kid but it's always been seat of the pants. So I'm trying to learn to really fry it.

I read that it should be cooked in oil at 350 f. I tried that tonight, in a Lodge cast-iron pan, and the chicken was burning way too fast. The first batch was cooked at around 275 to 300 but then I read about the 350 and tried the second batch at 350. The first batch did fine and the second batch tried to burn until I turned it down.

I suppose for the most part, I should just cook like the first one, using the same pan, stove settings, thermometer, etc., and it will do just fine but I'd appreciate hearing if there are other tricks I need to know or something I might have been doing wrong.
dalepres is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2019, 11:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,030

Re: Frying Chicken?

What did you have on the chicken? Seasoning, flour, batter? Sugar in seasoning will make it brown quicker.
dalepres likes this.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 12:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,674

Watching as I would really like to be able to cook some crispy chicken. My old style seasoned flour and 1/4" of hot oil taste good just not crispy.

Bud
dalepres likes this.
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 01:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik333 View Post
What did you have on the chicken? Seasoning, flour, batter? Sugar in seasoning will make it brown quicker.
I have a new sensitivity to gluten over the last year or so - or suspected; we're still trying to pin it down. So the breading is gluten free "crumbs" and gluten free flour and spices - garlic, salt, chili powder, paprika. No sugar.

I suppose the gluten free takes my problems out of the experience for most but still, thanks for whatever ideas you have.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:13 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,920

I'm not much for cooking anything that takes effort but my daughter likes to cook and we watch a few shows about it together. Recently, we watched a fried chicken competition and one of the contestants cooked the chicken most of the way in the oven and then breaded and fried it for just a little bit to get the coating crispy.
dalepres and Startingover like this.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:36 AM   #6
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,298

Well, if worried about Gluten, I wouldn't try my breading. One bowl of buttermilk and one of flour. Dip chicken in buttermilk, then flour, back into the buttermilk and back into the flour, then deep fry to golden crispness. Bunch of crunchies .
Old 06-08-2019, 06:48 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,623

Dale

I mostly fry cook thighs and use an electric skillet for better temperature control. I brine them in salt water for 4 hours to remove the blood around the bone or debone them in advance. Preheat the 2 cups of oil to 360 and reduce to 350 when the chicken is added.

They are breaded in flour and seasoning with no egg wash used. Paprika in the flour mix can cause premature browning. They cook at 350 and are turned and moved around the skillet every 5 minutes. I set the timer for 25 minutes when the chicken is in the skillet so this is a timed procedure. They are covered with a vented lid for minutes 8-18 +-.

Bone in uses almost all of the 25 minutes; deboned usually cooks in 20. They are done when pricked with a toothpick at the thickest part yields clear fluid.

The process of flipping and rotation exposes each piece to hotter area of the pan and ensures a golden crust on all sides.

When cooking a whole chicken you want one that weighs no more than 2.5 pounds and even then some pieces, wings and breasts will get done before the thighs.

It is virtually impossible to get a consistent temp on the stovetop and the thermometers only measure in the spot they are in.

I also oven fry chicken with a lot less carbs and a crispy skin.
dd57chevy likes this.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 816

Shallow frying the temperature can be tricky and difficult to control. Oil heats up, in goes the cold food and lowers temp of the oil, so you might adjust the temp hotter. Gradually as the food warms the oil starts to heat up and can move past smoke point, unless you turn the temp down. But how much? An electric skillet with a thermostat is probably helpful. Or closely monitor.

I've never tested the theory, but seems logical. Was watching on TV an old timer pan frying chicken, old black lady. She said, with deep frying, chicken totally submerged in the oil, the steam cannot escape. So when you eat the chicken the skin(and crust) comes off easily. When you pan fry, chicken roughly covered halfway, the steam can escape, and the skin sticks to the meat when you eat it. Crunchy goodness in every bite. Of course when you pan fry some of the chicken touches the bottom of the pan, so the crust is more dense than when deep fried. But also has a deeper flavor. Could be good, could be not as good, depending on preference.
dd57chevy likes this.
ZEW496 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Well, if worried about Gluten, I wouldn't try my breading. One bowl of buttermilk and one of flour. Dip chicken in buttermilk, then flour, back into the buttermilk and back into the flour, then deep fry to golden crispness. Bunch of crunchies .
There are gluten free flours to try. I've used that process before having trouble with gluten; it is definitely a good way to cook chicken. I thought about it for the batch last night but didn't want to go 6 blocks to the grocery store. Maybe next time.
chandler48 likes this.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
Dale

I mostly fry cook thighs and use an electric skillet for better temperature control. I brine them in salt water for 4 hours to remove the blood around the bone or debone them in advance. Preheat the 2 cups of oil to 360 and reduce to 350 when the chicken is added.

They are breaded in flour and seasoning with no egg wash used. Paprika in the flour mix can cause premature browning. They cook at 350 and are turned and moved around the skillet every 5 minutes. I set the timer for 25 minutes when the chicken is in the skillet so this is a timed procedure. They are covered with a vented lid for minutes 8-18 +-.

Bone in uses almost all of the 25 minutes; deboned usually cooks in 20. They are done when pricked with a toothpick at the thickest part yields clear fluid.

The process of flipping and rotation exposes each piece to hotter area of the pan and ensures a golden crust on all sides.

When cooking a whole chicken you want one that weighs no more than 2.5 pounds and even then some pieces, wings and breasts will get done before the thighs.

It is virtually impossible to get a consistent temp on the stovetop and the thermometers only measure in the spot they are in.

I also oven fry chicken with a lot less carbs and a crispy skin.
Very good ideas. We usually use thighs as well and that's what I had last night. We do a lot of boneless, skinless, thighs but lately I've gone back to bone in and skin on. We don't eat it that often and cutting out all of life's little pleasures is not worth the returns.

The rotating and turning is a good idea. I used the rough average of testing all around the pan for temperature. I turned the pan to try to get the cooler parts on the hotter areas; that seemed to help.

But good ideas all around; thank you.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEW496 View Post
Shallow frying the temperature can be tricky and difficult to control. Oil heats up, in goes the cold food and lowers temp of the oil, so you might adjust the temp hotter. Gradually as the food warms the oil starts to heat up and can move past smoke point, unless you turn the temp down. But how much? An electric skillet with a thermostat is probably helpful. Or closely monitor.

I've never tested the theory, but seems logical. Was watching on TV an old timer pan frying chicken, old black lady. She said, with deep frying, chicken totally submerged in the oil, the steam cannot escape. So when you eat the chicken the skin(and crust) comes off easily. When you pan fry, chicken roughly covered halfway, the steam can escape, and the skin sticks to the meat when you eat it. Crunchy goodness in every bite. Of course when you pan fry some of the chicken touches the bottom of the pan, so the crust is more dense than when deep fried. But also has a deeper flavor. Could be good, could be not as good, depending on preference.
Good ideas on the electric fryer and on deep frying. Reminds me that I might also want to try a pressure cooker.

Deep fryer is just such a mess to clean and dangerous. I have one but I don't use it often; I used it a lot when we bought it.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 6,623

I debone them and leave the skin on. They are actually one of the easiest chicken parts to debone.
dalepres likes this.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 490

My wife makes fantastic fried chicken. She cooks it in a cast iron frying pan. Maybe 3/4 to 1 inch of vegetable oil. As far as I know, she dips in in an egg batter and seasons the flour and coats it. I mean really good. Actually one of my favorites that she makes. Flips it quite a few times. Does make a good crust and your correct skin doesnít come off like that. Sorry she doesnít use a thermometer, canít help you there. I can tell you the higher the heat the crispier the crust. I would say never over 350, thatís what I use for fish. She just walked in, she said about 5.5 or 6 on the the burner if that helps lol
dalepres and Startingover like this.
BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouRunner View Post
My wife makes fantastic fried chicken. She cooks it in a cast iron frying pan. Maybe 3/4 to 1 inch of vegetable oil. As far as I know, she dips in in an egg batter and seasons the flour and coats it. I mean really good. Actually one of my favorites that she makes. Flips it quite a few times. Does make a good crust and your correct skin doesnít come off like that. Sorry she doesnít use a thermometer, canít help you there. I can tell you the higher the heat the crispier the crust. I would say never over 350, thatís what I use for fish. She just walked in, she said about 5.5 or 6 on the the burner if that helps lol
She must have the same stove. That's exactly where I did mine. 6 got too hot and 5 too cool.
BayouRunner likes this.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 3,231

The secret is to maintain the oil at 350* If the oil is not hot enough
then too much oil is absorbed into the crust making it oily/greasy.
Get a oil thermometer.

Here is a link to how I do it...adjust the spices to your liking.
Also, paprika is a natural browning agent. Have fun!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1973751
dalepres, Dave Sal and dd57chevy like this.
Two Knots is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement