Easter Dinner - Cook It Yourself - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Cook It Yourself

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree43Likes

Old 04-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 892

Easter dinner

After painting all weekend we're going to Olive Garden today. Most of my life Easter dinner was a nice ham. My daughter doesn't like ham so I never cook one. I envy anyone sitting down to ham dinner today. Yrs ago I used to bast hams with 7-Up to help wash off some sodium.
Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,814

Re: Easter dinner

We'll be going to have Pizza after church this morning - all you can eat buffet. Remains to be seen how many of the kids show up for church [prerequisite for me paying]
Startingover, de-nagorg and Nik333 like this.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019, 08:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,134

@Startingover funny you mention the salt problem with ham. Last one I cooked it came out so salty I had to boil it to be able to eat it. I'm now even farther down the road at eliminating salt so nor sure i could even boil out enough.

In another thread I mentioned I'm doing intermittent fasting (and doing very well with it) so unsure what I will be able to eat, so much is on the "never again list". May cook up a small turkey.

Bud
Startingover and de-nagorg like this.
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,046

My grandmother used to serve Baked ham with Pineapple slices, and Maraschino cherries pinned to it with toothpicks.

With the pineapple juice poured over it abut half-way done with cooking.

ED
Startingover and ktownskier like this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
Startingover (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #5

Bud, I'm right there with you on eliminating salt. I whined to my Dr that I can't even eat out much now cause of sodium in restaurants. He had no sympathy an just said, "no, you can't". I logged on to "myfitnesspal" yrs ago and log most food I eat to verify sodium, fat, sugar, protein and fiber in what I eat daily.

I'm too old to be working like I do and recently bought some canned food for easy meals. Sodium content was sky high. Whats a girl to do? I've heard we need at least 500 mg daily to help our blood cell. (“r something).

When you conside the sodium in natural foods, like eggs, it takes constant diligence to avoid sodium.

Do you drink a lot of water to help flush out sodium? I consider a good day when I keep sodium under 1,500. We had pizza when painting this weekend and my sodium was over 3,000. It's like fighting a losing battle.
BigJim and Bud9051 like this.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
Bud, I'm right there with you on eliminating salt. I whined to my Dr that I can't even eat out much now cause of sodium in restaurants. He had no sympathy an just said, "no, you can't". I logged on to "myfitnesspal" yrs ago and log most food I eat to verify sodium, fat, sugar, protein and fiber in what I eat daily.

I'm too old to be working like I do and recently bought some canned food for easy meals. Sodium content was sky high. Whats a girl to do? I've heard we need at least 500 mg daily to help our blood cell. (“r something).

When you conside the sodium in natural foods, like eggs, it takes constant diligence to avoid sodium.

Do you drink a lot of water to help flush out sodium? I consider a good day when I keep sodium under 1,500. We had pizza when painting this weekend and my sodium was over 3,000. It's like fighting a losing battle.
Did your salt shaker fall on the egg? It's only 62mg/egg. But, youre right there seems to be salt everywhere if you buy ready-made food.

There's a Morton light salt that helps. I don't eat canned food very often, but I thought there was a lower salt section in the grocery store, years ago? Maybe it's only at places like Whole Foods now.

You'll feel tired & weak, if you don't get enough sodium or wash it out too much.
Startingover likes this.

Last edited by Nik333; 04-21-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,656

I'm gonna have a nice, juicy top sirloin steak, with baked potato and salad on the side. My standard holiday dinner. Quick, easy, good and, not often (keep Mr. Heart happy).

Ham is SO salty, egad, can't handle it anymore.
Startingover and Bud9051 like this.
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #8

Nik, glad of reminder but those sneaky lil mg add up. 1,500 mg limit isnít easy. Heres my day at only noon. If I ever won the lottery I want a live-in cook that fixes healthy appealing meals.

Attachment 556727
Attached Images

de-nagorg and Nik333 like this.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-22-2019 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Rotate Picture
Old 04-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #9
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,290

We are going out to an Italian restaurant run by (literally) an older lady. She has two tables. One for a current reservation and one for an upcoming reservation in case table one isn't vacated in time. She prepares from scratch each meal and serves it, and cleans it all up by herself. Sort of like going to grandma's house when we were children. We have the last reservation of the day at 3pm.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 4,280

Quote:
Nik, glad of reminder but those sneaky lil mg add up. 1,500 mg limit isnít easy. Heres my day at only noon. If I ever won the lottery I want a live-in cook that fixes healthy appealing meals.

Attachment 556727
I wouldn't normally have said that about low sodium, but you sound like you push yourself pretty hard with DIY. Some days you feel too old to do the stuff could be low sodum, between Florida's heat, humidity & loss of salt thru perspiration.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nik333 For This Useful Post:
Startingover (04-21-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:31 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,868

We had our Easter Dinner tonight.

It was a Rack of Lamb, Smashed Potatoes, and Asparagus. And of course some Wine.

The lamb was seasoned with a garlic rosemary salt mixture after being rubbed with some EVOO and allowed to warm up to room temperature. Also, the frenching of the bones by the store was cleaned up and the tips of the bones were wrapped in foil.

The potatoes were steamed in the microwave with a bit of EVOO and kosher salt until soft and then smashed down a bit until the skins break open and some of the flesh is exposed. Then they are transferred to a saute pan with a bit of EVOO and browned.

The Asparagus is steamed in a bit of lightly salted water until just tender and then put into the bowl that the potatoes were microwaved in. (Most of the EVOO and salt was wiped out) and covered in plastic wrapped.

While all the prep was going on, I started the charcoal grill so that it had time to get the nice ash we all look for.

When the charcoal was ready, I built a two storage fire (most of the coals pile on one side) and put the racks, fat side down, over the hottest part of the grill. This got a good sear on the rack and then I flipped them over to sear the other side. Once that is seared, I move then to a cooler part of the grill to continue cooking to a temp of 125 (Medium Rare)

One trick is to preheat the serving platter. Put it in the microwave for a minute or two and in most cases it will heat up the platter.

Now comes the hard part, taking the meat off and waiting 5-10 minutes before carving it up. The reason you need to wait is for meat to relax and for the juices to be reabsorbed into the fibers of the meat.

After the 5-10 minutes, or as long as you can wait, carve up the rack. I usually cut it into 2 bone pieces.

Now be prepared for real "Finger Lickin' Good" eating.
Two Knots and Startingover like this.
ktownskier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:38 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,868

Quote:

For all my health concerns, (High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Obese, and a few other things) my doc has never told me to restrict my salt intake.

I have been reducing my salt intake on my own though. I normally don't use much salt in cooking, I use a lot of herbs and spices and then use Finishing Salt to provide that sodium bite.
Startingover likes this.
ktownskier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:58 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
My grandmother used to serve Baked ham with Pineapple slices, and Maraschino cherries pinned to it with toothpicks.

With the pineapple juice poured over it abut half-way done with cooking.

ED
Pineapple Slices and Maraschino Cherries took me right to dessert.....Cast iron skillet baked pineapple upside down cake.
Startingover and de-nagorg like this.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:10 PM   #14
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,046

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Pineapple Slices and Maraschino Cherries took me right to dessert.....Cast iron skillet baked pineapple upside down cake.
Yep, I have my grandmothers skillet, and recipe for that .

And don't forget the brown Sugar, in there as well.

ED
Startingover likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:34 AM   #15
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,290

When I was a kid, we couldn't afford nice cuts of meat, ham, etc. for every day meals. My favorite was sliced Spam with pineapple ring halves. The pineapple juice was introduced to brown sugar and poured over the meat and pineapple and it was baked.
Startingover, de-nagorg and Nik333 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement