Is Your Lawn Ready For Spring Yet? - Featured Topics - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Featured Topics

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Colbyt
  • 3 Post By HenryMac

Old 04-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
Administrator

Rewards Points: 2,192

Is Your Lawn Ready For Spring Yet?

Is Your Lawn Ready For Spring Yet?-springlawn-lge.jpg

Quote:
Itís exciting to see new growth. During spring, you can step outside and see budding tree limbs, blooming flowers, and increasingly greener grass. Despite the warmer weather, your yard wonít look perfect on its own, but thereís plenty you can do to spruce things up and make sure your lawn is ready for spring. How to Get Your Lawn Ready for Spring
Is your lawn ready for spring yet? Or, is this something you gave up on long ago?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,651

Re: Is Your Lawn Ready For Spring Yet?

Just push mowed the front for the third time so I suspect it is ready. Baby grass is looking good.

Now I got to get the rider carb switched out.
Cricket likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 538

My soil is too poor so while I fertilize and plant new seed - I don't dare weed and feed. I've already mowed twice, should have mowed last week but the rain didn't let up. Seems like it's too early to having had to mow more than once already.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,764

Well the snow just left in last couple of days so really too early for us. We have really poor soil as well - I try but my heart isn't really in it. We are very sandy so once the heat comes it just burns out and it's too big to water, and I haven't pulled the trigger on a sprinkler system.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 790

No grass to mow here. After 54 years of mowing... I sure don't miss it.

if any does happen to spring up, the locals take care of it for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Your Lawn Ready For Spring Yet?-002.jpg  
Two Knots, Cricket and lenaitch like this.
HenryMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 307

My first mow was about a week ago in Westchester, NY. I haven't used fertilizer in the past few years. It does help but I end up mowing more I think. Parts of the lawn do look a little sickly/thatchy this year so I've aerated the entire lawn (my first time doing it) and I'll see what happens. I bought two spike aerators from Home Depot (about $20 each) and used one for each foot and kind of "walked" around the lawn every 6 to 8 inches. It took 3 hours and I left the longest review I ever made on the product page.

Also I see lots of dandelions this year. I have some liquid Ortho (also killls grass) in the basement and might try a surgical application to each one rather than coat the entire lawn in some grass-safe weed killer.
Deck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 14

Layed sod last year. Coming up really nice this year. Been a cold wet spring. Mowed once so far. Then got 4inches of snow. Giving TruGreen a try this year. 6 applications. So far it looks like a golf course.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
spitz1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:16 PM   #8
Pro Answers

Rewards Points: 118

Simple Do's:
Miloganite- low nitrogen
Reel mower- no gas just use your ass- you want a weekly gym membership buy a friskar and get walking. More carbon omissions in a gas lawnmower than lawnmower. And reel mowers (kept with sharp blades) cut lawns better, mulch better, and then rotary- why do think golf courses use them (most).
Zoysia
no issues.

DONTS
weed control- pick by hand- stop buying roundup or any herbicide (use vinegar cheaper scientifically better performing)- Monsato is an evil company- spreading toxins vs solutions- and if your using/buting Scotts your using/supporting EVIL Monsanto.
Weeds are good thing means your soil is germinating/propagating; now what you have to do is get your lawn to replace that weed seed/source. Dormancy is also good thing- dont panic when your lawn is sleeping or doesn't wake up right away in spring. Climate change is messing with soil temp needed for germination-just snowed in MICHIGAN, again in spring 2019!!- use it too your advantage.

Never hire a commercial lawn service- a.) most of the so called technicians dont know a rhizomes from stolon in the groung. Nitrogen salespeople I call them. TrueGreen are truly shmucks- throw in a neg. sponsor.

Cut your own lawn- if you cant - dont have a lawn. Replace it with hardscape other ground cover.

Lastly - moderation- just like nurtioning your body- timing & moderation. I get asked all the time why does your lawn look so healthy. Focusing on the soil, deep watering, not over watering, use of other landscapes/groundcovers, aeration- soil needs oxygen air flow, dont buy into scalping, buy a lawn species thats condusive too your environment.

If you apply nothing to the above. Skip the lawn maintenance/replacement grow a garden this spring/summer.
Some people turn there front lawn into a garden- adding nutritional value and lower grocery bill.

When did humans become so obsessed with green lush lawns- certainly not a sign of wealth in the 21st century, maybe lack of understanding science (horticulture) in the 5th grade?
jmig7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement