Why Do You Prefer To Do It Yourself? - Featured Topics - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Featured Topics

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree33Likes

Old 02-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
Administrator

Rewards Points: 2,174

Why Do You Prefer To Do It Yourself?

Why Do You Prefer To Do It Yourself?-reasonsdiy-lge.jpg

Quote:
With the growth of the service economy and the ease of finding professional craftspeople using the internet, is there any reason to repair or build things around the house anymore? Why should you spend so much of your free time doing DIY projects around the house when you can replace broken objects or just call a repair person? 5 Reasons to Do-It-Yourself!
Why do you prefer to do things yourself? Whatís the biggest benefit youíve found from fixing things around the house yourself instead of hiring someone? Is it really just about saving money or is there more to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #2
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,084

Re: Why Do You Prefer To Do It Yourself?

Saving money is a great by-product. Mostly enjoyment of mechanical things, pride, satisfaction, and OCD issues. Sometimes better know-how than some professionals, stupidity and ego.
Two Knots, Cricket and Drachenfire like this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,268

DIY helps to prevent the heart attack when I see what people are charging.
But being able to fix the often unanticipated problems that pop up instead of having a contractor just bury them is a big plus. I don't always blame them as their quote didn't include the extra and stopping to add in the 'whatever' work slows them down. It is a byproduct of dealing with people who have to make a living.

Being retired now makes DIY a fun part of my remaining time, keeps me busy.

Bud
Two Knots and Cricket like this.
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 382

Number one is the monetary saving. Number two -- I built it so I know how to fix it or improve it.
I have the tools, the knowledge, but old age (74) has made me rethink a few things as I will no longer climb on roof, can't lift heavy things, and only have two hands. That is where grandson comes in as I train him to DIY.

RR
Rough Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
Administrator

Rewards Points: 2,174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Rooster View Post
Number one is the monetary saving. Number two -- I built it so I know how to fix it or improve it.
I have the tools, the knowledge, but old age (74) has made me rethink a few things as I will no longer climb on roof, can't lift heavy things, and only have two hands. That is where grandson comes in as I train him to DIY.

RR
If we don't teach our children and grandchildren we will have a generation that doesn't have a clue how to do it themselves. I absolutely love when I hear stories of folks including youth in their projects.
CaptTom likes this.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:22 PM   #6
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,634

Well, saving money is a definite plus, but there is also the satisfaction of completing a repair or project yourself, of not being totally dependent on somebody else for the day-to-day events in life. There are certain things I don't do anymore including most auto repairs. I don't have that facilities and haven't kept up with the technology. Back in the day I completely took a motorcycle down to the frame, and rebuilt the engine in my first car in the driveway (much to Dad's chagrin) but no more. I have a very good mechanic who I trust, which is a huge plus. Every time I have moved, I would rather find a new dentist than a new mechanic. I used to be two minutes from him but am now about half an hour but I ain't changing.

The growth of Internet-sourced contractors may be more of an urban thing arising from younger people who either have grown up with no interest or lack the space to do anything in their small condos and apartments. Where I am, getting a contractor to do a relatively small job can be really frustrating. I have often tried to get the recommended three quotes on a job and feel lucky to get two callbacks. I haven't done enough renovations to develop a solid relationship with with a contractor. My brother and daughter but have 'their guy' which is great for getting small jobs done. So long as it is within my comfort zone - or I'm willing to get frisky - I'd rather do it myself. I am certainly not highly skilled, but so long as I figure I can do it safely, not kill myself or botch it to the point that it will cost me more to get somebody in the clean up my mess, I'll try in myself. The lumber yard is full of wood waiting to be turned into kindling by my skilled hand.
Cricket and Nik333 like this.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 701

I have had many issues with contractors in the past but I think it all comes down to one thing. A contractor is someone who wants to spend the smallest amount of time on each job while charging the highest price he thinks you will pay.
I have limited money to spend and when I end up going full OCD on a project I have no problem putting in tons of extra time.

A good contractor knows lots of shortcuts and has tools to do the job quickly but this comes with a price. Plus, he may skip details that are not important to him but are a big deal to me.
Cricket and CaptTom like this.
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
If we don't teach our children and grandchildren we will have a generation that doesn't have a clue how to do it themselves. I absolutely love when I hear stories of folks including youth in their projects.
Yeah, all of the above. I can't remember a time when I wasn't tinkering with something, taking something apart to learn how it works, building something or rebuilding something. I guess some are just born with it.

And some are not. None of my kids got the mechanical "bug." Oh, they're smart, have good careers, are artistic, and whatever other good things you can say about someone. But they all had no interest in figuring out how things work, or fixing or building things. One daughter (who spent a lot of time "helping" her grandfather puttering around the shop) has come around and is pretty handy around the house.

I've heard things like this often skip a generation. There are stories about my grandfather and his brother or cousin building a boat in the basement, and having to remove a wall to get it out. He was also a lifelong sailor. So maybe there's some truth to it.
Cricket likes this.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptTom For This Useful Post:
Cricket (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #9
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 696

Because if something is going to break, itíll do so at 3:00am on Christmas Eve. Thatís a huge reason Iím glad I assisted on the repipe/replumb of my house, I know where it all is and how it connects.
Cricket likes this.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 132

I have a day job and am not always satisfied with the accomplishments...DIY gives me a sense of accomplishment, I enjoy doing it and I just find it fascinating. I get permits, I get it inspected. I also know some certified plumbers, HVAC and electricians. I often even pay them just to validate my plans ahead of time. It isn't about saving money though that often comes with it.

Some people golf, watch TV and movies, etc...I DIY. It sometimes costs me more to do it myself as well hahaha. When it comes to my home, I get more satisfaction out of saying ya, I built that deck, versus look at the deck I paid to have done.
Cricket and lenaitch like this.
Ca443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:17 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 472

Why Do You Prefer To Do It Yourself?

When I was young I use to look forward to diy. Because I would always have to buy a couple tools for myself. That was my reward along with the self accomplishment. I figured I could pay someone so many dollars or I could do it myself. Order that tool and have some change leftover. Really there isnít much I havenít done. But Iíve also learned that thereís some things I donít want to do. The roofers get paid lol. Iíve always done my own countertops, Formica and tile over the years. But those guys get paid too since weíve changed granite countertops a few times. I built my last home. I got bored with work and built a few others. I lost a pretty penny on one where I just didnít figure right. I respect the builders as well. A lot of money to be laid out before you get it back. My kids are all diy and so far I think one of my grandkids will be as well. Sheís really young at nine but wonít hesitate to grab a screw gun, drill, hammer or paint brush. Takes a little longer but good quality time. Think she enjoys it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cricket likes this.
BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,934

Cost is probably in there somewhere, but it's mostly getting it done exactly how I want it and adding little features that professionals either don't think of or just don't care enough about doing (like putting a plug horizontal instead of vertical so it looks better, etc.)

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:12 AM   #13
retired painter

Rewards Points: 2,058

Saving money was my primary reason for learning diy but the satisfaction from having done it myself comes in a close second. Also when you diy you are more likely to get a job done the way you want it done.

Quote:
DIY helps to prevent the heart attack when I see what people are charging

Bud made a good point! It would upset me to have to pay my hard earned money to someone to do what I know I can do for far less. I was dismayed at how long it took me to gut and remodel our full bath last summer but I did save thousands compared to hiring it done.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:39 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 104

In the mid 80s, was having a tear-off/re-roof down to the rafters. Hip roof, ~40 squares on a 1910 house. Was quoted $4500. They are supposed to fix any bad stuff.
Was watching one afternoon. Guy is out near edge of wider hip wailing away putting on shingles and one of the exposed rafters breaks off about 4 from the roof edge and is hanging by one nail. GC tells me well just scab it back.

I told my architect buddy I can do better than that. He said whoever has the hammer that day is the carpenter.

Met GC later that week to settle up. He says,OK, looks like total is $10k. I asked what about the estimate? He said "Hell buddy, it was just an estimate".
That's when I got seriously into DIY.
bg
Cricket and HenryMac like this.
yardmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 666

I grew up on a small farm... stuff would break in the middle of using it, so you fixed it yourself.

Fast forward 50 years. Where we live now there really aren't many good contractors. So, do it yourself now, or pay somebody to do it and then re-do their screw ups.

The internet really is a wealth of knowledge, do your research, and there isn't much a mechanically minded person can't do on their own today.
mark sr, CaptTom and Pink John like this.
HenryMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement