How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools? - Featured Topics - Page 3 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Featured Topics

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree51Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 09-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #31
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 1,327
Rewards Points: 2,646
Default

Re: How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jpenney View Post
My personal stash is pretty standard - 2x4 and plywood workbench, a couple of stackable totes, some pegboard and a wire shelf, including framing belt with tape holder, nail bag and hammer hoop. A toolbox is de rigeur and I was once inspired to get a little plastic tackle box to store my most-used hand tools like screwdrivers, pliers, etc.



I also worked at a lab in college and they store everything on wire shelving in clear plastic container store boxes, 3" highX8"longX11"wide (approx), which really seems like a great plan.


I also have specific project boxes for long-term stuff I'm working on where I keep all the parts and any specialized tools.
The problem with those little totes is the lids break.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051
Of course they had already been around for over 200 million years but on a planet that could go for billions of years maybe captain Kirk would have had big teeth and a long tail.
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-06-2019, 06:37 PM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 200
Rewards Points: 402
Default

Re: How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?


I need to look up organize.
bg
Attached Thumbnails
How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?-organization.jpg  
yardmullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-07-2019, 06:47 AM   #33
Property Mgt/Maint
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 5,621
Rewards Points: 6,488
Default

Re: How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?


The trick is, and I am not always so good at it, to handle things once. When you are finished with something put it away. If you are of the mindset "toss it on the bench for now and I'll get to it later", later never comes, and then everything piles up.
Could be a great shop area with some work.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
__________________
[political signature removed]
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-07-2019, 09:22 PM   #34
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 602
Rewards Points: 251
Default

Re: How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?


Workplaces are nice - lots of space to store things categorized.

My home, OTOH, is tiny. When I’m working on a project, I use the dining room table, the stove and counter and the kitchen floor. I have no choice but to clean up and store things away at the end of the day, otherwise, we have nowhere to cook and eat.

I love boxes. When people give me gifts, I’m often more interested in the boxes especially when they’re pretty boxes. I have a box for all my tapes (single-sided, double-sided, etc), syringes and needles, sanding stuff, plastic welding, watering ceramic cones, fasteners, paints, stains, wood burning, soldering, cone threads, sewing notions, fabrics, etc.

I have 2 wide drawers in the living room dresser assigned to most-frequently used hardware stuff. That’s where I have boxes to keep similar tools together. The drawers are not enough to store everything so, my home being tiny, I have tools stashed wherever I have space. I remember where things are by keeping iCloud notes (I have two folders labeled “inventories” and “storage lists”).
Druidia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM   #35
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 1,327
Rewards Points: 2,646
Default

Re: How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?


Quote:
Originally Posted by yardmullet View Post
I need to look up organize.
bg
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051
Of course they had already been around for over 200 million years but on a planet that could go for billions of years maybe captain Kirk would have had big teeth and a long tail.
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM   #36
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 1,327
Rewards Points: 2,646
Default

Re: How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Druidia View Post
Workplaces are nice - lots of space to store things categorized.

My home, OTOH, is tiny. When I’m working on a project, I use the dining room table, the stove and counter and the kitchen floor. I have no choice but to clean up and store things away at the end of the day, otherwise, we have nowhere to cook and eat.

I love boxes. When people give me gifts, I’m often more interested in the boxes especially when they’re pretty boxes. I have a box for all my tapes (single-sided, double-sided, etc), syringes and needles, sanding stuff, plastic welding, watering ceramic cones, fasteners, paints, stains, wood burning, soldering, cone threads, sewing notions, fabrics, etc.

I have 2 wide drawers in the living room dresser assigned to most-frequently used hardware stuff. That’s where I have boxes to keep similar tools together. The drawers are not enough to store everything so, my home being tiny, I have tools stashed wherever I have space. I remember where things are by keeping iCloud notes (I have two folders labeled “inventories” and “storage lists”).
That would never work for me. Though I have often thought of how well RFID chips on tools and stuff would work, or if thats just a 'yep its in there SOMEWHERE' kind of deal LOL.

I actually have 2 'shops' at the moment, my big shop, that contains everything that can freeze (unheated) and my attached 2 car garage for all the crap that cant freeze.

Currently in the process of building a new work bench in there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051
Of course they had already been around for over 200 million years but on a planet that could go for billions of years maybe captain Kirk would have had big teeth and a long tail.
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM   #37
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Kremmling, CO about 7500'
Posts: 883
Rewards Points: 1,760
Default

Re: How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?


Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
That would never work for me. Though I have often thought of how well RFID chips on tools and stuff would work, or if thats just a 'yep its in there SOMEWHERE' kind of deal LOL.

I actually have 2 'shops' at the moment, my big shop, that contains everything that can freeze (unheated) and my attached 2 car garage for all the crap that cant freeze.

Currently in the process of building a new work bench in there.
There are some ways to track your tools. They aren't WiFi, but they are Bluetooth. Milwaukee, Delta and Tile are the most well known. There are others but these seem to have the most presence in the market.

The problem is that with most like most Bluetooth it only has a range of 100'.

So if your neighbor from a few doors up borrows your ladder again, you won't know where it is. Unless you drive by with the app open.


__________________

The only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask!
Most of all, have fun! It ticks people off and ruins their day.
ktownskier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM   #38
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 1,327
Rewards Points: 2,646
Default

Re: How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownskier View Post
There are some ways to track your tools. They aren't WiFi, but they are Bluetooth. Milwaukee, Delta and Tile are the most well known. There are others but these seem to have the most presence in the market.

The problem is that with most like most Bluetooth it only has a range of 100'.

So if your neighbor from a few doors up borrows your ladder again, you won't know where it is. Unless you drive by with the app open.


I thought bluetooth was only good for 30'?

but even then, most houses around here are 200+ from the road lol
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051
Of course they had already been around for over 200 million years but on a planet that could go for billions of years maybe captain Kirk would have had big teeth and a long tail.
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:36 AM   #39
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 602
Rewards Points: 251
Default

Re: How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?


Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
That would never work for me. Though I have often thought of how well RFID chips on tools and stuff would work, or if thats just a 'yep its in there SOMEWHERE' kind of deal LOL.



I actually have 2 'shops' at the moment, my big shop, that contains everything that can freeze (unheated) and my attached 2 car garage for all the crap that cant freeze.



Currently in the process of building a new work bench in there.


Yup, it certainly depends a lot in people’s personalities. Fortunately for me, I’m a list person.

Long time ago, i spent a whole day doing an inventory of the contents of every box/bin in our condo storage/locker room. That’s a lot of time and effort that, I understand, many people don’t have the patience to do. But, as I explained to my older sister who has a huge room stacked with boxes of everything, it pays off. Makes my life easier - I know exactly which box to pull out when I’m looking for thing A and B vs having to open every box. My boxes and bags are labeled A, B, C, etc because our locker doors are just thick wires (in locked rooms). So, I don’t want neighbors knowing at a glance what those boxes contain.

If I take out something from a box in the locker, I delete it from my iCloud Notes list or add a note about where it’s been transferred. Really neat especially when I’ve approached the age when remembering things doesn’t come so easily anymore.

My favorite “Confucian” (jk) quotation, “He who keeps notes is wise ... and forgetful”.
That Guy and ktownskier like this.
Druidia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:33 PM   #40
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 1,327
Rewards Points: 2,646
Default

Re: How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?


my list would be the size of an old school phone book. However I do have a mental inventory of where everything is and just about everything I have.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051
Of course they had already been around for over 200 million years but on a planet that could go for billions of years maybe captain Kirk would have had big teeth and a long tail.
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:34 PM   #41
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Kremmling, CO about 7500'
Posts: 883
Rewards Points: 1,760
Default

Re: How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?


Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
my list would be the size of an old school phone book. However I do have a mental inventory of where everything is and just about everything I have.
I do too, but I keep forgetting where I put the list.
That Guy likes this.
__________________

The only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask!
Most of all, have fun! It ticks people off and ruins their day.
ktownskier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:56 PM   #42
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 1,327
Rewards Points: 2,646
Default

Re: How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownskier View Post
I do too, but I keep forgetting where I put the list.
After much nagging by one of my guys, I bought a labeller... I think its a brother... that thing is GREAT! I forget how much it was, I think $50? and the refill tape is like $20... I like the smaller tape, I got refills last time in the smaller tape, and this time got the larger tape, the larger tape is easier to read but too big.

I went thruogh the shop this summer and labelled oodles of stuff... Its nice for last minute reminders too... Like on my screen door, on the window eye level:

Got Your House Keys?



I cant tell ya how many times I have locked myself out of my house!

I did the tool boxes, since I re-organized the tools metric in one box, sae in another, and specialty tools (like rear break tools) in the accessory boxes... so now every thing is labelled, it looks a bit old man-ish, but makes life a lot easier.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051
Of course they had already been around for over 200 million years but on a planet that could go for billions of years maybe captain Kirk would have had big teeth and a long tail.
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:01 PM   #43
Property Mgt/Maint
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 5,621
Rewards Points: 6,488
Default

Re: How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?


I keep a Sharpie in my tool belt to use whenever I need to label, or mark something. Not as eligant as a label maker, but it is convenient.
__________________
[political signature removed]
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Power Tools Should DIYers Have? Cricket General DIY Discussions 20 04-30-2016 10:09 AM
Organize tools with a magnet? what kind? Alumifab General DIY Discussions 9 03-08-2016 07:56 PM
Yard Tools With Grippy Handles l008com Tools 2 05-08-2015 06:15 AM
Organizing All the tools jamiedolan Tools 13 04-01-2011 03:57 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts