How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools? - Featured Topics - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Featured Topics

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree51Likes

Old 03-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #1
Administrator

Rewards Points: 2,222

How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?

How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?-storingdiytools-lge.jpg

Quote:
Keeping your DIY tools tidied and organized is almost a DIY project in and of itself. Itís not so bad if you possess only a small collection that can be contained in a toolbox or cabinet, but as you amass a collection of specialty tools and a wider variety of commonplace tools to help you keep your home in tip-top shape, you may struggle to keep order amongst your resources. Organizing and Storing Your DIY Tools
How do you organize and store your tools?

Share a picture if you have one?
jimfarwell likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,838

Re: How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?

Dang, I was going to suggest this thread. I am trying to figure out the best way to do it. I can't wait to find out what others use.
A tote (like shown above) just as a catch-all or one tool-bag for each type of project?
Cricket and landfillwizard like this.
ktownskier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,794

I have too many tools to store them in a bucket or bag but I often use a 5 gallon bucket or an old tool bag I have to take what I need to the job being worked on.
Cricket and jimfarwell like this.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 09:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 7,001

I have a tool box or storage bin for each of the major functions I sometimes do in the hopes that I can grab a tool box and go.

Gutters and siding, drywall, painting, electrical, plumbing, torch and pipe cutters, and carpentry. To be complete this leads to duplication of some items like pliers, screwdrivers, utility knives and tape measures.

Mixed short term projects are sometimes done by putting selected tools in a 5 gallon bucket rather than taking multiple tool boxes.
Cricket and landfillwizard like this.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #5
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,534

These are the daily goto's
How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?-tool-storage.png

For common hand tools, I like the pail pouch. Its light and keeps tools accessible and spins easy on the carpet which helps.

The large tote on the left has cordless pwr tools, bats and charger.
Tool box on top right is HVAC, Under it is larger hand tools, and wrenches.
Another tote behind on the left has tie-downs, ropes, caution tapes.
BigJim, Cricket and ktownskier like this.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #6

I am an organization/storage junkie. I love things I think I can use for storing whatever. (Nails/screws, wire nuts, etc..)

I love the holidays when Lowe's and Home Depot put their storage bags/bins on special. I also shop the clearance/markdown areas.

Recently, I have bought a lot of the bags/totes shown below, and I found a couple of the bucketboss 5 gal tool storage that I had bought a while ago.

I am in the midst of remodeling my home which includes, plumbing, heating, flooring, etc..

I got tired of not having my flooring tools in one spot, hammer, hammering blocks, screwdrivers, small trim saw, larger pull saw, trim puller etc.. I tried one of the totes below and it didn't work all that well so I switched to the bucketboss style and found it works much better.

Here are the pics I mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?-red-black-husky-tool-bags-82177n17-64_1000.jpg   How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?-black-husky-portable-tool-boxes-230381-64_1000.jpg   How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?-puppies3.jpg  
Old 03-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #7
Property Mgt/Maint

Nice pups. are they siblings? And you better get them tools dirty. We'll start to think they don't used.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #8
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,660

Right now, Organize, don't even apply to my tools. I am in the process of reorganizing everything out in the shop. I have two roll-around tool boxes with the upper box as well. I use one for mechanic tools and the other for small, power wood tools and smaller hand tools.

I just bought a new Dewalt job site table saw and am in the process of clearing off all the junk on my Unisaw so I can store it until I can sell it. Talk about a mess, and my shop is really small now days.

When I have a job, I carry my tools I need in a bucket, like above. Also a pouch or two, and my nail apron. And still isn't enough to hold most tools I need. lol

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #9

I have the older versions of the pups. Nora is the black lab and is almost 9, Riley is the yellow lab and is a bit older at 10 (and not doing all that well. ) We are getting ready for the inevitable. The two dogs have not been together that long, only a couple of years. We had Nora since she was 9 months old, Riley since he was 8 yrs.

Those tools are NOT mine. Just stock pictures from big orange. Just an example of what I like to get when on special at the big box stores.

I would show my tools, but, I am too embarrassed to do so. So disorganized and in various forms of storage. (a rolling workbench, a tool cabinet and chest, a peg board cabinet, various plastic bins, etc.)
Yodaman likes this.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:41 PM   #10
Property Mgt/Maint

A few other ways that I store tools and supplies.

These little Dewalt boxes are good for small parts storage. They lock up and travel well.

How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?-dewalt-bins1.pngHow Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?-dewalt-bins.png

These Milwaukee fastener boxes are nearly indestructible. They also stack and latch together.
How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?-milwaukee-totes.png

And not everything needs to be in tool box. I use several med sized plastic totes.
How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?-small-totes.png
Attached Thumbnails
How Do You Organize Your DIY Tools?-totes-2.png  
BigJim, gma2rjc and ktownskier like this.

Last edited by Yodaman; 03-13-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #11
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,996

I have to many tools to keep in a tote or bucket.

This was a problem when we first moved into the house. I had tools scattered all over the garage and it drove me nuts because I had trouble finding what I needed when I needed it.

I went out and bought a 2-piece Craftsman 11-drawer tool chest. Ever since I set this up I have had no trouble finding my tools.

When I have a project to work on, I pull out all the tools I think the job requires. Usually everything fits in a canvas tote bag. The trick is to remember to put everything back in the tool chest when I am done.
gma2rjc and joecaption like this.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 17,912

I have three of those tool bags full in my truck as well and 4 totes, a 28 X 14 shed, a basement, 2 car garage, a 10 X 14" enclosed trailer, a 7 X 16" equipment trailer, a workshop addition and a carport full of tools and equipment.
And somehow most often I know where everything is unless someone else is "helping me" putting things away.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #13
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,244

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownskier View Post
I am an organization/storage junkie. I love things I think I can use for storing whatever. (Nails/screws, wire nuts, etc..)

I love the holidays when Lowe's and Home Depot put their storage bags/bins on special. I also shop the clearance/markdown areas.

Recently, I have bought a lot of the bags/totes shown below, and I found a couple of the bucketboss 5 gal tool storage that I had bought a while ago.

I am in the midst of remodeling my home which includes, plumbing, heating, flooring, etc..

I got tired of not having my flooring tools in one spot, hammer, hammering blocks, screwdrivers, small trim saw, larger pull saw, trim puller etc.. I tried one of the totes below and it didn't work all that well so I switched to the bucketboss style and found it works much better.

Here are the pics I mentioned.
Gosh... WHAT GREAT LOOKIN PUPS.....
Old 03-13-2019, 07:15 PM   #14
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,182

I have a fairly small workshop in this house so have a combination of wall pegs, pegboard and shelves. I like to keep it reasonably organized and clean but right now am in the middle of building some bookcases and it is an unholy mess.
The only place I had in our previous old farmhouse was a detached unheated garage and the seasonal changes in temperature and humidity were tough on some tools, so I avoid keeping much in my current attached garage. It works out pretty well since the workshop has a direct walkout to the garage.
I normally don't have to transport my tools unless I load up to go to our daughter's. For jobs around the house, I take what I need, the go back and take stuff I forgot, then go back again to get stuff I didn't think I needed but now do. Given enough time and trips, I can have just about every tool I own moved to where I'm working.
jimfarwell, Yodaman and Mystriss like this.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:31 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaitch View Post
I have a fairly small workshop in this house so have a combination of wall pegs, pegboard and shelves. I like to keep it reasonably organized and clean but right now am in the middle of building some bookcases and it is an unholy mess.
The only place I had in our previous old farmhouse was a detached unheated garage and the seasonal changes in temperature and humidity were tough on some tools, so I avoid keeping much in my current attached garage. It works out pretty well since the workshop has a direct walkout to the garage.
I normally don't have to transport my tools unless I load up to go to our daughter's. For jobs around the house, I take what I need, the go back and take stuff I forgot, then go back again to get stuff I didn't think I needed but now do. Given enough time and trips, I can have just about every tool I own moved to where I'm working.

Hahaha. This cracked me up. Me exactly too, that last paragraph. Every project I do ends up with every tool I own scattered about. It took me at least 8 trips to the garage to bring back my tools from my last project. This was a great post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lenaitch, jimfarwell and Mystriss like this.
romeojk27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement