Have You Built A Deck Before? - Featured Topics - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Featured Topics

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg
  • 4 Post By Nealtw
  • 3 Post By Rough Rooster
  • 1 Post By HandyAndyInNC
  • 2 Post By Drachenfire
  • 4 Post By Mike Milam
  • 2 Post By Mystriss

Old 05-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
Administrator

Rewards Points: 2,174

Have You Built A Deck Before?

Have You Built A Deck Before?-dreamdeck-lge.jpg

Quote:
Before you start designing your dream deck, find out what’s allowed by local building codes and homeowners’ associations. These regulations may have limitations on size, materials, finishes, and overall appearance. Check on any necessary permits before you start construction. It’s better to know these restrictions during the design phase, not when your friends are toasting your new deck. 5 Tips for Building your Dream Deck

Have you built a deck before? (Would love to see a picture if you have!)

If so, what tips would you offer to those people thinking about building one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 1,924

Re: Have You Built A Deck Before?

Yes I have, put groceries on the table doing it.

Sorry no pictures, too complicated , for one thing, ( no camera).

Best tip I can give, is to do it correct the first time, then you can enjoy the deck for many years, with a little maintenance.

ED
Cricket likes this.
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 11,810

The title here might have been, how many things are wrong with this deck
Oso954, Cricket, de-nagorg and 1 others like this.
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 11:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,152

It's a "no deck, let us talk patio" location.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 382

Built this for my sis to connect two houses that were 16' apart. It is 32' the long way.
Pressure treat all the way using approved screws and hardware.
Attached Thumbnails
Have You Built A Deck Before?-marie-deck-006-s.jpg  
Dave Sal, Cricket and de-nagorg like this.
Rough Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 400

Before? Before what?

Yes, when I was about 14 I helped my Father build one on his house. Still standing strong today. That was about 40 years ago.
de-nagorg likes this.

Handy Andy In Mt Airy NC
HandyAndyInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #7
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,810

I completely rebuilt my 10'x20' deck two years ago (see link below). Here is the advice I would give to anyone attempting it.

1. Check you local codes. In my county, they offer a downloadable .pdf file of an actual deck plan detailing all the codes that need to be followed. Pay particular attention to how deep post holes need to be to get below the frost line in your area.

2. Create a detailed plan or have one created. Using the aforementioned .pdf file, I designed my deck on Microsoft Visio. There was a page for each stage of the project, post layout, joists, decking etc. Doing this enabled me to accurately calculate how much material I would need and in what dimensions. This saved me from buying to much or to little material. If you do not have access to software, graph paper, rulers and a pencil will work just as well.

3. If possible do not buy all your PT material at one time unless you have a building to store it in. PT lumber tends to warp if left out in the elements. This means that depending on how big and complicated your deck is, by the time you get to the deck boards and balusters, many will have developed a twist.

4. If you can, spread the work out time-wise. I did my deck over 5 weekends. I could have taken a week off of work and completed it in that time. But with the amount of physical labor involved I would have needed another week to recover. By spreading it out over multiple weeks, I had time to rest between stages. I also had time to come up with solutions to any problems. I tried to only work on Saturdays so I had Sunday to rest before the work week. During my project, I would go to the store early in the morning and only pickup the lumber I needed for that day. The project broke down in the following manner.

Weekend 1 - Layout, dig post holes and set the posts in concrete.
Weekend 2 - Cut the posts to height and notch them, build the beams and install them.
Weekend 3 - Build the deck frame, install the joists and hurricane ties.
Weekend 4 - Lay down the decking.
Weekend 5 - Install the railings and balusters.

5. Do not sacrifice safety to save a few bucks. Remember, people will be walking on the deck and leaning on the railings. You do not want any accidents. With the exception of the joist hangers and hurricane ties, all the fasteners on my deck are screws or bolts.

I hope this helps someone out.
de-nagorg and Mike Milam like this.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 124

Built a few for myself. I second the advice of building it right. Just because you can get by with 2 X 6 joists, doesn't mean you should. I used 2 X 10 joists throughout.
Attached Thumbnails
Have You Built A Deck Before?-img_5091.jpg   Have You Built A Deck Before?-img_5137.jpg   Have You Built A Deck Before?-img_5148.jpg  
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,932

I helped my father build a deck some 40 years ago. The house was recently condemned due to the big quake in November - deck is still there though :P

I was like 6 so I mostly recall there being a ton of screws to put in. He let me use the "driller" - now I have my own; stole it from my husband hehehe
de-nagorg and Drachenfire like this.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM   #10
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 1,924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post
I helped my father build a deck some 40 years ago. The house was recently condemned due to the big quake in November - deck is still there though :P

I was like 6 so I mostly recall there being a ton of screws to put in. He let me use the "driller" - now I have my own; stole it from my husband hehehe
You mean that you don't have a special pink set, sized just for those "girl" hands?

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:28 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,932

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
You mean that you don't have a special pink set, sized just for those "girl" hands?

ED
Well I did have the bigger cordless DeWalt, but I stole the 12v as soon as he got one because it's so much lighter. I lack the arm muscles to hold the big one over my head without fear of dropping it on my face (it hurts and leaves bruises JS )

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement