Do You Have A Storm Door? - Featured Topics - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Featured Topics

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Gymschu
  • 1 Post By kwikfishron
  • 1 Post By Dave Sal
  • 1 Post By CaptTom
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg

Old 10-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #1
Administrator

Rewards Points: 2,262

Do you have a storm door?

Do you have a storm door?-stormdoor-lge.jpg

Quote:
In much of the country, summer has passed and autumn has arrived. This means cooler temperatures and for many, the arrival of cold and snow. Like the rest of your home, your door should be winterized to protect it from the harsh wind, ice, and snow that will greet it for three to five months. One way to help protect your door is by installing a storm door. Storm Doors Add an Extra Layer of Winter Weather Protection
Do you have a storm door on your home? Did you install it?

Do you feel it helps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Do you have a storm door?

Quote:
Do you feel it helps?
I heard that storm doors are not to be used on the new fiberglass entrance doors. Is that true?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 7,489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
I heard that storm doors are not to be used on the new fiberglass entrance doors. Is that true?

You have to be careful with any insulated door with an IGU and the plastic trim. For the most part it depends on the orientation to the afternoon sun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 9,026

I added storm doors to my entry. Its an extra layer of protection and air control. Didn't really notice water intrusion but MDF interior casing around the door had obviously managed to get water on it. Replaced casing with wood, and added storm doors (double doors). When the weather is nice, I open the main door, and lower the screen on the storm door, letting a nice breeze roll through. Storm door stays locked.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #5
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 910

A lot of differences in quality of storm doors. You can buy the cheaper ones and it will work, somewhat. It may or may not close well due to the lack of weight. Higher end doors will close with authority, have better IGU's, and are more weather tolerant.
I have a lesser expensive Larson on my rental cabin and it keeps bug out. I have an Andersen on our house and it latches perfectly, is heavy, and has a removable glass IGU that can be replaced with a full screen if needed.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 266

I love my Larson storm door! It protects my front entrance door from the weather, keeps the bugs out, and adds an extra layer of protection against the cold winter air. I have a full-view storm door which allows me to have a full-sized screen which is great in the spring and fall for opening up the entrance door to let a breeze blow through the house. I know people who don't have storm doors and their entrance door is weathered and discolored from all the weather that beats down on it.
chandler48 likes this.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 144

I have storm doors on both of the entries on my house and love them. As mentioned they're great for keeping the bugs out while allowing fresh air into the house.

I have to admit the both of my storm doors were freebies/throwaway doors from a customers house.

Any entry door that is not protected from the weather by a porch roof etc needs a storm door because the majority of entry doors are not watertight and will leak if you throw a hurricane (or a hose) at it.

I've never come across issues with a fiberglass door behind a storm door but I have seen problems with solid wood doors if they're painted a dark color.

I'm a Larson guy mostly because of the availability in my area (I can get any Larson within a week vs a few weeks to get most Andersons).

Larsons can range from 150 to 900 bucks so I'll match them up with an Anderson any day on a apples to apples price point.
Gymschu likes this.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 262

When I bought my house new in 1980 it had no storm doors or deadbolt locks. I added the deadbolts myself and had a local door and window place come out and measure for storm doors all around. The guy said that storm doors are basically used to create a dead air space between it and the main door, which is why they help lower the heating / cooling costs. Made sense to me.
Gymschu likes this.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:49 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,538

I've always had storm doors. Also tend to open windows and doors to let a breeze through when the weather allows. I know, how primitive!

Anyway, my point is, if you get the storms doors with sliding panes of glass, to open the screen, re-configure them so the screen opening is on the top, glass (or whatever) on the bottom.

Two reasons: First, the screen on top will get better air flow, and second, you don't want the screen near the handle. People tend to push the handle hard, in a hurry, and their hands slip off to go through the screen. Especially kids.
Gymschu likes this.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:15 PM   #10
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 1,156

Yes X 3 , Front, Side, Back doors.

As stated they create a dead space, where the heat stays inside better.

Installed them in the 80's, when I bought this shack.
Have had to rebuild the nylon bushings in the hinge on the one used the most, but that's expected in 30 years.

ED
Gymschu likes this.
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement