Do You Have A Car Emergency Kit? - Featured Topics - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Featured Topics

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree57Likes

Old 03-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #1
Administrator

Rewards Points: 2,256

Do You Have A Car Emergency Kit?

Do You Have A Car Emergency Kit?-caremergency-lge.jpg

Quote:
You never know when you might find yourself in an emergency situation. If you happen to be at home, you have a wide variety of resources available to you but the same may not be true if you find yourself on the road. You canít predict the future, but you can prepare yourself in the event of an emergency by creating a DIY car emergency kit. Tips for Assembling a DIY Car Emergency Kit
Do you have a car emergency kit?

If so, what's in it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 6,386

Re: Do You Have A Car Emergency Kit?

10mm, glass breaker, flares, knife, First Aid kit.
Dave Sal likes this.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 05:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 190

I don’t consider things like pen, paper, flashlight to be emergency kit items. They are day to day items that I carry in the cabin area. Same thing with a glass breaker. If you carry it, it’s got to be in the cabin where you can get to it. It may not do you any good in a box in the trunk.

For a lot of people, I’d start the emergency list with cell phone, cell phone charging cord (with 12v adapter if your car doesn’t have usb), and AAA card. Emergency tools don’t help if they don’t know how to use them.

It’s surprising how many drivers do not know where their spare tire, jack, and lug wrench are.
Dave Sal, lenaitch and Nik333 like this.

Last edited by Oso954; 03-06-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
I donít consider things like pen, paper, flashlight to be emergency kit items. They are day to day items that I carry in the cabin area. Same thing with a glass breaker. If you carry it, itís got to be in the cabin where you can get to it. It may not do you any good in a box in the trunk.

For a lot of people, Iíd start the emergency list with cell phone, cell phone charging cord (with 12v adapter if your car doesnít have usb), and AAA card. Emergency tools donít help if they donít know how to use them.

Itís surprising how many drivers do not know where their spare tire, jack, and lug wrench are.
What about areas without cell service? Like the mountains. I've lost service even in the Coastal Mtns. There might be no one to see a flare.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #5
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 7,004

Emergency Kit? No, but I carry enough tools to build a shelter on site, lol
I do carry a first aid kit, and always have extra sweatshirts, hats and gloves in winter months.
landfillwizard likes this.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:03 PM   #6
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 824

Yep, old airline blankets, neck pillows, first aid kit, sand bag shovel (folding), Leatherman. Plus if weather is really bad I carry my bug out pack.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,787

Yes, I have a first aid kit, it came with my car...it pretty much has
everything in it for first aid in a neatly zipped case.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik333 View Post
What about areas without cell service? Like the mountains. I've lost service even in the Coastal Mtns. There might be no one to see a flare.
Good point...Looking at the picture that gal doesn't have cell service either. If she did she wouldn't be looking in the book.
Attached Images

Nik333 likes this.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Knots View Post
Yes, I have a first aid kit, it came with my car...it pretty much has
everything in it for first aid in a neatly zipped case.
I'm not too impressed with most First Aid kits. If you're bleeding you need real dressings & lots of them. I doubt there's a tourniquet in there. They'd be liable if you lost your limb. Not to be negative, but it's reality.
They should put a Wilderness Medicine book in there.

I have ABD dressings in the car for others but found them useful when a dog bit me on the wrist & calf. It's just hard to stop bleeding on two places with one hand. That's where the wide elastic sports tape comes in.
lenaitch and DoomsDave like this.

Last edited by Nik333; 03-06-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:18 PM   #10
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 158

Quote:
I'm not too impressed with most First Aid kits. If you're bleeding you need real dressings & lots of them. I doubt there's a tourniquet in there. They'd be liable if you lost your limb. Not to be negative, but it's reality.

I have ABD dressings in the car for others but found them useful when a dog bit me on the wrist & calf. It's just hard to stop bleeding on two places with one hand. That's where the wide elastic sports tape comes in.

I totally agree. Many over-the-counter fist aid kits have stuff you will never use and mean just more stuff to root through. I built my own using basic dressing pads and bandages but want to upgrade them this year with an 'Isreali bandage' and tactical tourniquet.

To the OP question, jumper cables, F/A kit, fire extinguisher, emergency blanket, flares, lighter, rope, tow strap, shovel (last 3 not on motorcycle) flashlight in addition to the Leatherman and cel phone that I carry. On the bike I also carry a compressor and plug kit. If I'm travelling any distance in the winter, especially up north I toss in a small sleeping bad and snow pants.
Dave Sal and Nik333 like this.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:56 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 670

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Good point...Looking at the picture that gal doesn't have cell service either. If she did she wouldn't be looking in the book.
I'm wondering what book she's reading. Most people seem to take the owner's manual out (with intentions of reading it perhaps) and never put it back. Or they take it out to make room for something else.
Oso954 and lenaitch like this.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:12 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,202

Quote:

if a layman has to put on a tourniquet, they've already lost the limb, since they won't have a darn clue what they're doing. the first aid kit is for if you get a papercut reading the owners manual, not drop a weld seam on your leg and sever an artery.
u3b3rg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:07 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 190

Quote:
Yes, there are a lot of areas with no cell service or spotty service. Sometimes, climbing a hill or ridge will help.
If you are on a major road, just put your hood up/try to flag down someone going by. The real problem is when you turn off that major road onto a lesser road. Depending how often that road is used, you may have consider hiking out.
Use a mirror to signal airplane/helicopter ?

Road flares are primarily good for warning cars that you are obstructing part of the roadway, or to light a fire. Most people don't carry enough of them to do much of anything else.

A lot of people are carrying flares that are too old to be reliable. The flare has an indefinate storage life if their storage temp is 40-90f. Unfortunately, here in California the trunk temperature of a car parked in the sun can easily exceed 120f. So after a few summers, the reliability of the flares becomes questionable.

Checking your emergency supplies annually is a good idea. Is the spare tire aired up or flat ? Are flares and batteries in good condition and usable? Anything missing? Were consumables used and not replaced?
Nik333 likes this.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #14

In California, the major roads aren't usually a problem. Many people stop to help. Rural areas, too. It's the mountainous, isolated areas that seem to be a problem.

I'd really recommend that women stay in their locked cars after surveying the problem, at least in California, on roads with some traffic.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
if a layman has to put on a tourniquet, they've already lost the limb, since they won't have a darn clue what they're doing. the first aid kit is for if you get a papercut reading the owners manual, not drop a weld seam on your leg and sever an artery.
. Well the title of the thread includes 'emergency'. I was just watching a Mayo Clinic video on tourniquets. Apparently, Military data shows that tourniquets rarely cause permanent damage, even in an hour. The alternative to no tourniquet isn't good. Hospitals use direct pressure, usually, but that depends on the injury, you need to know. how & they have surgeons.

So perhaps one of the most important tools in everyone's kit should be reading up on common emergencies.

We've had a lot of people caught in wilderness on bad roads in snow.
Windows on Wash and Yodaman like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement