Do You Have A Backyard BBQ Grill? - Featured Topics - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Featured Topics

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree18Likes

Old 05-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #1
Administrator

Rewards Points: 2,190

Do You Have a Backyard BBQ Grill?

Do You Have a Backyard BBQ Grill?-outdoorgrill-lge.jpg

Quote:
Summertime and the living is easy. But choosing a backyard barbeque grill? Maybe not so much. Is Choosing a Backyard BBQ Grill Like Choosing an SUV?
Curious minds want to know. Do you have a background bbq grill? If so, how often do you use it?

Do you have a favorite style or brand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,324

Re: Do You Have a Backyard BBQ Grill?

I have owned about every kind of grill, mostly propane, from small two burners to the limousine style like pictured. All have failed at one time or another due to material stress or burners just giving up the ghost.

It's just me and wifey and we don't entertain that much, so I have down graded (if you want to call it that) to a round Weber charcoal grill. It is fantastic! Yeah, it takes 15 minutes or so to get the coals ready, but the flavor can't be beat. And I don't run out of gas right in the middle of grilling
Nik333 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
Big Dog

Rewards Points: 3,854

We have a Char-Broil gas grill with three brass burners and a side burner which we picked up a few years ago at an end-of-season sale.

We cook on it once a week on average weather permitting even during the winter.
lenaitch likes this.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm," and the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."
Drachenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #4
DIY Junkie!!

Rewards Points: 332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Attachment 558485
Curious minds want to know. Do you have a background bbq grill? If so, how often do you use it?

Do you have a favorite style or brand?
My favorite bbq grill was a Weber "Infared" two burner item with a rotisserie. That grill had a large "curved" metal pan between the burners and the grilles. The "scooped out" part of the curved pan was large enough to allow a rotisserie to rotate a 15# turkey for Thanksgiving one year.

Being an "infrared" unit, that metal pan was heated by the burners and then the pan was what provided the infrared "waves" that cooked the food. It was quite quick to cook things (like an entire pork loin in about 25-30 minutes) when using the rotisserie. That 15# turkey was cooked in 70 minutes and was juicy all through.

I have not seen the "infrared" bbq grills listed for sale for some time. We bought ours at a Home Depot. We used that infrared grill to cook dinner 3 or 4 days a week. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat!!!!!

Cheers from Dugly
chileboy likes this.
YerDugliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 384

Built this one several years ago.

Do You Have a Backyard BBQ Grill?-cooker-001-s.jpg

Fire it with Mesquite. Have cooked 8 briskets at once.
Can't seem to get enough $$ to get another brisket. May have to invoke a loan from bank just so I can use it again.

RR
Rough Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 494

Been using a Green Egg the last twenty years or so. Itís pretty versatile and showing its age a little bit. Think I can get another twenty out of it though. It nice that you can get all the parts for it. You can set the temp by closing the dampers and it can hold the same temp all day long without adding coals. I have the Round Weber as well in my camper and at my camp. They are really hard to beat for the money and cook really good. Use it maybe 3 times a month or so.
Two Knots likes this.
BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 14

I have a LP Weber Spirit. I'm going to run a NG line to the patio and get a new grill. Im looking at Napoleon grills does anyone own one? The pricing is comparable to Weber and I believe they are made in the US or Canada. I try to grill about ever night in summer. I hate cooking in the house when the AC is running.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Dave Sal likes this.
spitz1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 796

I've had a Weber Genesis 1000 since 1999. I use it weekly, even in winter. About a year ago I replaced the burners and flavorizer bars and did a thorough cleaning. Works like new.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,574

We grill steaks from the local butcher weekly so we go through a lot of grills. Every grill has it's own "character" so they're kinda like... idk loved ones, or maybe more like that one favorite sock who's mate you keep hoping will return from the dryer, so you refuse to throw it away...

Our current grill has no bottom, it rusted out and fell on the ground LOL I'd bought a replacement grill three or four years ago, but my husband hasn't had the time to "make friends" with it yet.

Every once in a while we pull out the round charcoal grill and do something in the wok on it. We also tend to do hot dogs over an open fire more so than grilling them.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 44

I have a Weber Genesis 330 that my wife got me when we first moved into our condo and I love it. Never had a problem with the ignitor, like I have with some others. And I love the copper color, it really stands out.

It has a side burner (under the cover on the right) and a "sear station" section (independently controlled) that gets incredibly hot and will incinerate anything in a few minutes if you're not careful - it's great for blackened fish, which I love. If you do it just a minute or minute-1/2 per side, it's perfectly charred and still rare inside.

It's going on it's 5th season and still looks as good as the picture (taken when new), but I am fanatical about cleaning it every time I use it and I cover it always.
Attached Thumbnails
Do You Have a Backyard BBQ Grill?-20150430_182914.jpg  
Dave Sal likes this.
chileboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #11
Naildriver

Small meals on the charcoal are the boss.
Attached Thumbnails
Do You Have a Backyard BBQ Grill?-steak.jpg  
chileboy likes this.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 626

Do I have a BBQ Grill? Is the Pope Catholic? Are Mosquitos the Minneosta State Bird? Can it snow in June in Colorado?

Every grill type has it's benefits and it's downfalls. It's followers and Detractors.

Weber sucks! Charcoal is the only way! BBQ is only slow and low!! Love my Green Egg!! Gas isn't grilling, it's for cars!

For me, I don't do BBQ, I do grilling. I have been a Weber fan since my dad bought one back in the 60's. I bought my first one in 1986. A black 22" Kettle charcoal kettle grill.

I bought my first gas grill in the late 90's. A black Weber Genesis Gold LP grill. I kept that with me when I got divorced, and when I moved in with my girlfriend, it went with me to Hudson WI. It stayed there when we moved to Colorado. I bought a charbroil gas grill. It lasted 2 years. I bought a Kitchen Aid Charcoal grill. It still worked until I sold it.

When we sold the house in Wisconsin, I brought my Weber gas grill out here. It is going on 20+ years. I have replaced the flavorizer bars and that's about it. l love the damn thing.

However I still miss my Weber charcoal grill. One day last spring, I was going through Craigslist and came across a Weber Performer Charcoal grill. (To my mind, the top of the line kettle grill) It was about 5 years old but it was in good shape. And, best of all, it was FREE!! I responded right away and I was lucky and got it.

So now, I am in heaven!! I have my two favorite grills. And I cook throughout the year. Anything from steaks, burgers, chicken to fish, shrimp and veggies. Even fruit and other fun things.
Dave Sal and chileboy like this.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:21 PM   #13
Naildriver

Quote:
Weber sucks!
You wouldn't think so the way you extol their virtues in your post. Which is it?
Old 05-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
You wouldn't think so the way you extol their virtues in your post. Which is it?
I was using that as example of what people say about grills. Some will say something sucks, Others will say it is the best.

Weber grills to me, whether it is gas or charcoal, are some of the best grills out there.

Others will say Charbroil are the best or the Egg is the best.

I stand by my Weber. The Gas grills last a lot longer than the Charcoal ones for a variety of reasons but I don't care. I will get another Weber charcoal grill if/when my Weber Performer does rust out.

As for the nay sayers? I stand by my steaks! And Pork Chops. And Fish.
Dave Sal likes this.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:53 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 58

I cook on a Weber Performer grill. Cooks with charcoal, lights in 5 min with propane. No messy stinky lighter fluid. All parts available from Weber. Over 15 years of use. Had to replace the bottom bowl cause I wore a hole through it after 10 years. I grill 3 to 4 times every week.
I would not own any other grill. IMHO it's the best.
ktownskier likes this.
diycabinets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement