Your Thoughts On Different Ceiling And Door Heights? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By farmerjohn1324
  • 1 Post By mark sr

Old 04-12-2019, 01:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 110

Your thoughts on different ceiling and door heights?

Are 10' ceilings the norm for larger two-story houses? Could you get away with 9'?

With 10' ceilings, must I have 8' doors throughout? Including all exterior, interior, patio, and garage doors?

If I went to 9' ceilings, could I use 7' or 6'8" doors?
farmerjohn1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 02:35 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,172

Re: Your thoughts on different ceiling and door heights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjohn1324 View Post
Are 10' ceilings the norm for larger two-story houses? Could you get away with 9'?

With 10' ceilings, must I have 8' doors throughout? Including all exterior, interior, patio, and garage doors?

If I went to 9' ceilings, could I use 7' or 6'8" doors?
You can do anything you want. Usually only go a taller door in the from and taller interior door around that entrance way.

we Usually see the main floor, taller than the upstairs. like 10 down and 9 up or 9 down and 8 up. You would like to match the top of the windows to the top of the door so you are really adding a foot or 2 for all the windows on that floor.

Everyone thinks going higher is cheap, just studs and drywall but the windows really add up.
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 02:40 AM   #3

[QUOTE=Nealtw;5812167]
Quote:
Everyone thinks going higher is cheap, just studs and drywall but the windows really add up.
And the doors.

A 16'x7' tall garage door ~$700. A 16'x8' is ~$3000+.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 02:45 AM   #4
retired framer

[quote=farmerjohn1324;5812169]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post

And the doors.

Check around, up the 8 ft garage door is a free upgrade. You pay for the 7ft. Or it was a few years ago, so that price is nuts. The panels are just a bit bigger and when you want to replace one they charge the same for either.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:54 AM   #5

[QUOTE=Nealtw;5812171]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post

And the doors.

Check around, up the 8 ft garage door is a free upgrade. You pay for the 7ft. Or it was a few years ago, so that price is nuts. The panels are just a bit bigger and when you want to replace one they charge the same for either.
I'm going by Lowe's website.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:42 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 552

Garage door height depends on what you need to drive through it? Lowes or other consumer type stores would be mostly residential. Going to commercial or industrial scales add that much more money. They are also built to be more rugged.

Same with interior doors. Commercial doors would be also 1.75" thick with better hinges and probably solid cores. You could add transom windows over residential doors. I think you were asking about fairly large slab floor also. You may be required commercial fire blocking for one. Even if your area don't have such rules, could become a question if selling, so check your zoning and some of the building rules.

That's about all I know about it.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:19 AM   #7
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,816

9' ceilings are the norm on the upscale houses around here. The lumber yards even sell precut studs for 9' walls. 80" doors are fine for 9' ceilings and it allows you to use bigger trim and crown molding. With the possible exception of the entry door I wouldn't consider 8' doors unless you have 10' ceilings.
Nealtw likes this.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:33 AM   #8
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
9' ceilings are the norm on the upscale houses around here. The lumber yards even sell precut studs for 9' walls. 80" doors are fine for 9' ceilings and it allows you to use bigger trim and crown molding. With the possible exception of the entry door I wouldn't consider 8' doors unless you have 10' ceilings.
We can order pre cut studs up to 140 1/4 for 12 ft walls
Old 04-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 4,929

My kids all have 9 foot ceilings with regular size doors and windows.
It looks wonderful.
Two Knots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #10
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 950

Everyone has basically said it all. It's a huge cost but desirable option for most people. 9' can work for almost any style of house. 10' might go better with certain styles, like traditional with lots of crown and transom windows. A "modern" style can do anything.

If you have a 3/4 ton+ truck or even a 2" lift you might want the 8' high overhead door.

You're near Orlando, if you're building this for Shaq, go 10'.

Last edited by 3onthetree; 04-12-2019 at 09:19 AM.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 4,896

In Alaska folks stay with 8' ceilings in general because of the heating cost/inefficiency - might be a consideration in your climate.

Personally, I'm a major fan of 9-10' ceilings. I don't think you 'have' to do taller doors/windows with a higher ceiling, but I do think you have to "look" at the space and get the proportions right on each individual wall/consideration of what furniture will be on the wall.

For example, if you're doing an office and you'll have a desk under the window, it's functionally and visually more appealing to bring the window up higher than normal so you don't necessarily need a bigger window there, you just move the window up a foot or so, same could be said of a couch under a window. A door/opening into a hallway you might want taller so it makes the hall seem bigger, but if you're talking about a door/opening into a bedroom/bathroom off that hypothetical hall, a standard door with a piece of artwork over it might actually look better than a taller door. It might be more visually appealing to have a shorter door between a kitchen and a hallway or dining room to separate the spaces.

I think you can usually make "standard" shorter windows and doors/openings work with taller ceilings if you add wider trim work (door/window frames, baseboard, and crown molding, even wainscotting can make it visually proportional.)

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement