Wrapping Fascia - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #1
Maryland

Rewards Points: 250

Wrapping Fascia

Getting ready to wrap some fascia with aluminum trim coil. What's your opinion/technique on the following subjects? Note: A 10'6" brake will be used.

1. How do you handle the seams of your horizontal runs? How much overlap do you use? Do you leave the seam "open" or do you fasten/rivet the two overlapping pieces together?

2. When bending your fascia, do you hem both ends before bending your 90?

3. Do you face nail or do you screw from the bottom?

4. Any tips/tricks for an easier install or better quality job?
Pittsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,384

I never use rivits, only stainless steel trim nails.
The ones sold at Home Depot and Lowes are aluminum and there way to big. They dent the material and tend to bend.

I install my trim a little differant. I install utility trim up side down under the drip first so the coil stock can be punched with one of these tools and locked into place instead of all the ugle face nails.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=Xwi4JCiNfjZ
For the bottom lip I bend it 1-1/4 and punch it before install with another oval hole punch that makes a small hole for the coil nails, not the one for roofing nails.
If the material is locked in at the top and just nailed in from the bottom there's no way it's going to come loose and looks far better then face nailing.

The over lap needs to be no more then 1", does no harm to have more just a waste of material. The only face nails I use is one in the middle of the lap of the face.

If you do it the way suggest as the sun hits the material it will not get all wavy, a piece will never come loose and fall out.

If you seam it at the top and bottom, in most cases you would not have enough material to make two pieces from each length.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Maryland

Rewards Points: 250

I've seen some guys simply slide the trim coil up and under the drip edge and then screw up from the bottom. (With screws spaced about 3' and installed at all laps) No utility trim under the drip edge and no face nailing whatsoever. This approach seems very simple, so I wonder what the potential downfalls would be? Any thoughts on how wind would affect trim installed in this manner? Think the laps would be vulnerable to wind/tear off? Anyone install in this fashion with success?
Pittsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement