Would This PVC Wedding Arch Work? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SeniorSitizen

Old 03-10-2017, 12:13 AM  

Rewards Points: 1,112

Would this PVC wedding arch work?

My son is going to have a simple wedding on the beach and wants to have a wedding arch. Do you think building a wedding arch that looks like the following would be possible using PVC pipes?

I would like to make the arch out of 1.5 inch PVC pipes for the two sides with reducers to 3/4 inch PVC pipe for the top arch. Just single pipes. The dimensions would be 5 ft wide by 7.5 feet high. The top 3/4 inch PVC pipe would be pre-bent to the proper arc shape, with 22 or 45 degree elbows at both ends.

The assembly would be held up by long wooden stakes driven into the sand. The wooden stakes would of course not be perfectly vertical so the side PVC pipes would be pushed into the sand and secured to the stakes with duct tape for the vertical adjustments.

Do you think it would be sturdy enough if there is a light wind? Strong wind would negate using it for sure. I'm wondering if single 1.5 inch PVC pipes for the vertical sides would be strong enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2017, 02:42 AM  

Rewards Points: 708

Re: Would this PVC wedding arch work?

Don't see why not.
I had a friend who made a set of Lacrosse nets out of PVC and it worked. He filled the base with sand to weigh it down. That might be an option as well. Build it freestanding and weigh the base down. No pegs and no duct tape required.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2017, 04:22 AM  

Rewards Points: 2,616

For stability I would consider a T on the bottom running 90 to the arch with a couple feet of pipe running each way from the T and buried in the sand. No glue on the T for easy transport, assembly and disassembly.
de-nagorg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2017, 01:54 PM  

Jlhaslip and SeniorSitizen,

Thank you both for your replies. I'll forward your suggestions to use T's at the bottom of both sides and weigh them down with sandbags, to my son.

Was primarily wondering if using 1.5 inch PVC pipes for the vertical sides would be rigid enough without too much flexing back and forth in light winds. I've had zero experience with 1.5 inch PVC pipes.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:41 PM  

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
Jlhaslip and SeniorSitizen,

Thank you both for your replies. I'll forward your suggestions to use T's at the bottom of both sides and weigh them down with sandbags, to my son.

Was primarily wondering if using 1.5 inch PVC pipes for the vertical sides would be rigid enough without too much flexing back and forth in light winds. I've had zero experience with 1.5 inch PVC pipes.
I doubt there will be much flex with 1.5" pipe and will be mostly dependent on how elaborate the adornments since the pipe alone will be very stable in the wind.

If decorated Guy wires were run from about mid-way up, down to near the far end of the pipes out of the T's, I suspect you could use 1" pipe.

If the Guy wires were diamond studded that would look like a million dollars.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:57 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
I doubt there will be much flex with 1.5" pipe and will be mostly dependent on how elaborate the adornments since the pipe alone will be very stable in the wind.

If decorated Guy wires were run from about mid-way up, down to near the far end of the pipes out of the T's, I suspect you could use 1" pipe.

If the Guy wires were diamond studded that would look like a million dollars.
The plan is to decorate the arch just like the picture. The sheer scarfs should not offer too much resistance for the wind. Hopefully it will not be windy but plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Guess after building the arch, we will have to see if guy wires will be necessary as backup.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:13 PM  

Rewards Points: 44

I agree with the comments above that 1.5" PVC isn't necessary. As long as it's anchored well you can get away with 1" PVC. No one is going to be leaning on it and even a stiff wind wouldn't be able to make it flop around.

How are you going to put the bend in the arch? Heating with flame or 135/45 fittings?
Old 03-10-2017, 03:25 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrowning View Post
I agree with the comments above that 1.5" PVC isn't necessary. As long as it's anchored well you can get away with 1" PVC. No one is going to be leaning on it and even a stiff wind wouldn't be able to make it flop around.

How are you going to put the bend in the arch? Heating with flame or 135/45 fittings?
Using 1" PVC for the sides will be easier to transition to 3/4" PVC for the top arch. Plan is to use a heat gun to bend the arch and then cool it with water from a hose. Easier suggestions for bending welcome.

Will probably use 45 degree fittings to connect the arch to the verticals.
EDIT: On second thought, 22 degree fittings will probably be better.

Thanks.

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 03-10-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement