Wood Replacement Under Threshold? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2016, 10:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Wood Replacement Under Threshold?

I just purchased a home that has a back door with two windows on either side. I pulled out some rotted wood under the threshold coming into the house. Is there something I can put underneath the threshold to replace this wood? I would need something that would stop moisture from coming in. Is there some type of epoxy or something that I can put underneath this? I'm wanting to avoid replacing the entire threshold, as it goes underneath the windows on either side and would be a real pain to replace. Please see the attached image and picture it with no wood. Thanks for all answers.
Attached Images

Andrew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 09:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,036

You can get all aluminium or one with synthetic wood. Your best bet would be to find a door shop/supplier in your area.

here is a manufacturer link.
http://www.pemko.com/index.cfm?event...uctMaterialId=

I would bet you need to replace the entire jamb. Make sure you flash it properly and install a pan or flash it correctly at the bottom or you will be replacing more than a door in the near future.

This video is the best demonstration of how to properly flash a door i have came across. you may not have the same materials available but you should be able to adapt to what ever product you are using.

Mingledtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,382

Post a picture of the outside when you can.
In most cases the reason this happens is a slab, stoop, deck, was built even with the threshold, or as mentioned there was no or improper flashing which is a big building 101 mistake and a sure way to have moisture damage.
Advertisement