Wood Floor Treads Over Concrete - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2020, 03:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 970

Wood floor treads over concrete

I have about 5 steps going down to my basement from the back door landing. Then about 5 steps going up to main floor kitchen. The steps going to kitchen are wood, the landing is small about 3'x6', and the steps going into basement are poured, solid concrete.

In order to match everything and keep the flow consistent, I am wanting to do the landing in solid wood planks to match the kitchen floor. It's 1915 craftsman and the floors in kitchen are likely birch. I then plan on pine treads stained to match closely. I want to continue this to basement.

I realize I can't lay the untreated flooring or treads right onto the concrete, so I'm trying to weigh my options. My current thought is to buy some ice and water shield and stick it to the steps and the landing then countersink some holes and take tapcon screws and screw the treads to the concrete steps, plug the holes, sand, stain and finish. I'd so same for the risers. Current steps are about 10" deep x 30" wide. I can gain some tread depth with this, it wouldn't raise the height of any step too much to throw them out of spec either.

For the landing, I'd still use the ice shield, but not sure if I'd free float the majority of it or have to tapcon each board in a few spots as well. Maybe the boards are thin enough i could adhere some ply over the ice shield and glue the planks to the ply.

Any issues or suggestions with this logic?
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 04:51 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,110

Re: Wood floor treads over concrete

Just use the same glue that you would use for hardwood on a dry concrete floor.

You could do the risers first and then an 11" tread for a 1" nose but that might not be code on the bottom step unless you are doing the basement too. All risers should be within 3/8" of each other.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement