Wood Fence And Metal Posts - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2017, 10:15 PM   #1

Wood fence and metal posts

I am looking to enclose my backyard on the east and west sides of my house. Back Fence is wood on metal posts and in great shape. The east side of the house is the problem. The posts are 1 5/8" diameter and are about 9 & a half feet apart. Posts are concreted in.
From where the wood fence makes a turn to where I want to cut over to the chimney is 22 ft.
Any suggestions on how to proceed? We get wind storms a couple of times a year but normally not enough to knock fences over
Attached Thumbnails
Wood fence and metal posts-20170621_190237_1498097341086.jpg  
Kieran68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2017, 06:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 552

Re: Wood fence and metal posts

If you're buying the fence, which are I think made in 8' sections, you need new posts. Cut the metal posts at the ground. You can rent one man post hole digger, sink the 4x4 treated posts 2' for 6' high fence.
If you can make the fence, you can use 10' 2x4 to span the metal posts you have. You can put diagonal braces, post sides down and middle meeting in upside down V, which will prevent sagging.
You can also buy 8' sections, leave the existing frame, add your own 9' frame, and pirate the slats from extra fence you bought. I would still add the braces.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #3

Was looking at 8 ft premade sections, main issue is the concrete, the line between the posts is 8" wide & a bit deeper. How would I cut a hole in concrete for new 2 1/4 metal posts or 4 x 4 wood ? If I did wouldn't think concreting them in would be that stable.
I was considering cutting the chain link fence to the post I would cut over from to get to the side of the house. Then cut a line in the concrete & tear it up backwards to the wood fence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #4

Will be bracing the fencing, thanks for the suggestion on that
Old 06-23-2017, 07:47 AM   #5

Missed the first read. Did you want a higher fence?
If keep the same photo height, I would look for wood frame with same height, same pattern boards. Buy one extra fence from which you can take the boards. Add a same dimension frame over (under the existing if the boards have no space and extra frame can't be seen) the existing frame but longer. I guess 10'x2x3? and cut it to fit. Decide first how you are going to attach the frames to the posts. You won't need the bracing. I put mine on nearly 7' tall fence and it survived 4" branch falling on it, but I think you just need to put a piece of 2x2 on mid frame and rest it on the pad.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #6

I am sorry, I messed up on the description. I want to take off the chain link and replace it with a six foot high wood fence from where it ends at the back wood fence. Then go forwards 22ft and cut over to the chimney.
I thought of taking a 2" round metal posts & slipping it over the 1 5/8" to expand the height on that one section. Problem I was wondering about was weather doing that would be strong enough to holdup in a windstorm. We get 40-50 mph windstorms a few times a yr during the spring.
I was also wondering about cutting into the concrete to add more 2" metal posts to brace it, which I imagine would be hard considering the concrete is 7-8" deep at least. Or maybe using 4 x 4 wood posts and bolting them to the concrete to brace the higher fence.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 364

I would tear down the chain link fence and cut the metal posts off at ground level. I would then dig new holes for 4x4 pressure treated posts and place them either next to the old metal posts or in the middle. It's a lot of work removing old concrete bases from the ground so I'd just make new ones in between.
Dave Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:38 PM   #8

Maybe a silly idea. How about fill the short post with cement. Drive or vibrate 6' rebars (3-4 3/8"?) into the concrete. Slip 6' larger post over it and fill with fairly liquid cement while vibrating it (sander will work).
BTW, reusing the short metal posts will depend on how well they are anchored. Short chain link fence has a little chance of big enough concrete base. If you install taller chain link fence with vinyl slats for privacy, you may be able to use existing posts.
If you really want the wooden fence, I think easiest would be leave the concrete apron, dig 24" deep hole adjacent to the apron and have the fence step back a little. If you have enough room in front of the apron, esp considering town zoning rules, you can put the fence in front.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:52 PM   #9
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,172

I agree with others, new posts planted inside the concrete wall.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement