Window Question - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Window Question

I have wood rot on sashes of @10 Caradco clad double hung windows. They were installed when the house was built in 93. Jeld Wen sells a replacment sash with Auralast wood treatment with a 20 yr warranty. I'm wondering whether I should just replace the sashes or the whole window. Should I be concerned the alum clad that failed on the sashes is failing on other parts of the windows? I'd hate to replace sashes now & have other problems in a few yrs.
Michael2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

That depends. Is there damage to the frame of the window or just the sash? You need to do your homework and check to see what you'll actually be saving if you just replace the sashes as well. I don't know what siding you have on and what shape any trim is in. If you do do something, now might be the time to change everything out. I also don't know your budget.
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Most of them have cedar siding but the ones in the front are clapboard. The windows are not trimmed. Damage to the window frame or sill is not obvious to me. From the interior you can see water stains on the wood sash usually in the middle where the dh windows meet. The clad on the exterior at the stained location is spongy to the touch because of the rot.

Budget is always a factor. I was just thinking about siding my house with vinyl but that's on hold pending the windows. The cost of replacement sashes is @50% of a new clad window minus installation.
Michael2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement