Will This Shelf Design Hold The Load Safely? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2017, 03:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Will this shelf design hold the load safely?

Hi all,

I'm installing some shelving to support some 10 gallon fish tank. The tanks themselves should weigh 80-100lbs max when full. I'm using these heavy duty brackets that say they can support 1000 lbs when "installed properly", just not sure what that means :-). I'm planning to use two of them per tank, spaced 16" apart, installed directly into studs. The tanks are 22 inches wide and will sit on 3/4 plywood on top of the brackets. I'm using 1 1/2 inch long lag screws with washers.

I guess my first question is, how is the weight distributed in this setup? is all of the weight on the lag bolts and 2x4 studs? Should the screws be longer? I'm not too worried about the brackets but how I can be sure the screws or 2x4s will not break?

Here's a detailed sketch I made along with info on the brackets. I'm not an engineer but enjoy DIY and want to make sure this is absolutely safe from crashing 4x10 gallons of saltwater on my floor
bh750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #2

Re: Will this shelf design hold the load safely?

Sorry, its not allowing me to post links to images just yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2017, 03:33 PM   #3

Re: Will this shelf design hold the load safely?

Bracket

Sketch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement