Where The Foundation Meets The First Floor Framing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2010, 07:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Where the Foundation meets the first floor framing

OK. I promised my wife I could build our own home and now I'm not sure if I'm messing it up. My foundtion wall and my porch wall are the same Heigth, but I'm sitting 20" I joist on the foundation wall (walkout basement). What do I need to do in order to make sure that I don't have a hugh step up onto my main level. I haven't poured the concrete over metal pan on the front porch yet and didn't know how to assure this doen't mess up the faux stone watertable that we have going around the rest of the house. The plans call for one level line of watertable across the entire front of the house. Should my concrete contractor have noticed this prior to pouring the foundation wall? My plans have always shown a 20" floor system.
dgilley68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Yikes--Sounds like you should have been there to make sure the concrete guy understood the elevations.

Sadly --that is the job of the 'General"-- Now you need to figure a 'fix'

Just how big is this addition that it needs a 20" floor system?

Can you post a picture of your plans? Work in progress? Maybe we can offer a useful suggestion or two.----Mike----
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 01:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

pics and plans

Thanks Mike. The plan files are to large for this forum. I will attempt to safe them as different file types and send them. Also, I will take some pictures of the site.

I'm not sure why the concrete company did not pick up on this as they had the full set of engineered plans and elevations prior to starting the job and we discussed the I joist sizing from the beginning.

This is new construction. I went with 20" I joist in order to provide better sound proofing between floors (also the engineer was able to increase spacing between the 20" I joist compared to the 14" and this allowed for a nominal increase in cost.)

At this point in time I believe I only have one option. Block up on top of the poured wall at the porch to the necessary height.

I don't believe I will do this until the framers have the first floor complete
dgilley68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 06:04 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

That's a shame--I learned a hard lesson like that my self. I was not on site, at my own house, when the excavator dug the foundation---32 inches to deep.

That was 23 years ago--I still kick myself.---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 516

How big is the stoop?

Why not add a landing or two on top of the stoop to keep the stoop closer to finished grade, and allow your stone to look proportional over the stoop.

When you go to taller floor joists, you'll always need to make some "concessions" elsewhere on the exterior.

IMPO, the foundation for a stoop should never be placed above grade, but just barely below the finished grade. The concrete porch, with it's finished sides, should be all that you see when everything is all done.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement